NOD32 hangs at boot

ghines

Hi all,

I have found that my computer sometimes fails to boot correctly.  It just hangs at the desktop, sometimes at the NOD32 splash screen, and the only option is to power off.  Sometimes it requires 2 - 3 reboots before it boots correctly.  It can be OK for weeks, or it might happen 3-4 days in a row.

I have experienced the problem with NOD32 Antivirus version 5, 6 and now 7.

During the last 12 months NOD32 was not installed and I used another Antivirus program and my computer never hung at all.  During this 12 months I upgraded my computer, new M/B, Graphics Card, Memory, CPU (i7) and now an SSD.

As the present Antivirus expired I download the trial NOD32 Antivirus version 7 and within 2 days my computer hung on reboot, just as before.

As all the hardware is different and only my software programs are the same I can only conclude that "something" and NOD32 are incompatible.

Any help would be much appreciated as I really like NOD32, but I cannot use it if this problem continues.

TIA

Greg

Hello,

I would use ccleaner and disable every startup item except ekrn and egui.

See if your freezing continues. If not start adding yer others back one at a time.

Do you get any blue screen at all or a hang?

Windows is on SSD ?

Have you tried running the ESET Uninstall tool in safe mode yet ? (Do this, and make sure ESET is the only driver for security installed. )

Remove all including ESET, and reinstall by using the Live Installer download.

Let us know the results.

Hello,

I would use ccleaner and disable every startup item except ekrn and egui.

See if your freezing continues. If not start adding yer others back one at a time.

Do you get any blue screen at all or a hang?

Windows is on SSD ?

Have you tried running the ESET Uninstall tool in safe mode yet ? (Do this, and make sure ESET is the only driver for security installed. )

Remove all including ESET, and reinstall by using the Live Installer download.

Let us know the results.

Disabling start items when the problem can only happen once in a week or so is not practical at all.  I still need to use my PC.

No BSOD, just hanging.

Yes, windows in on the SSD.

As I said, I upgraded the PC with many new components including a new HDD (ie: ssd), and reinstalled everything.  So there was no ESET components on the SSD before it was installed and the problem persists.

Greg

I would create a Sysinspector log so we can get an idea of what programs are installed.

In your new components did you get a new Power supply ? Didnt mention that above.

What do the 3v 5v and 12v rails read out under a full load on your computer ?

Have you checked your PSU can handle all the new components , there is a difference of course with full load.

Prime95 is nice to max your processor out. Windows loading puts quite a load itself and may be why its commonality is crashing on boot.

I would suggest disabling HIPS to see if the problem goes away but thats also not practical for a week.

I would create a Sysinspector log so we can get an idea of what programs are installed.

In your new components did you get a new Power supply ? Didnt mention that above.

What do the 3v 5v and 12v rails read out under a full load on your computer ?

Have you checked your PSU can handle all the new components , there is a difference of course with full load.

Prime95 is nice to max your processor out. Windows loading puts quite a load itself and may be why its commonality is crashing on boot.

I would suggest disabling HIPS to see if the problem goes away but thats also not practical for a week.

Have uninstalled NOD32 at the moment due to this issue, but I will get you a list of installed programs by another means very soon.

Yes, the PSU was replaced.  I also would have thought in the 12 months without NOD32 if there was an issue with the PSU I would have still had issues.  Don't you think?

Greg

• Administrators

We'll need to get a complete memory dump from a freeze generated manually as per the instructions here. The dump should reveal the cause of the freeze.

Also checking a SysInspector log might reveal suspicious software or drivers that might potentially cause the issue.

We'll need to get a complete memory dump from a freeze generated manually as per the instructions here. The dump should reveal the cause of the freeze.

Also checking a SysInspector log might reveal suspicious software or drivers that might potentially cause the issue.

OK, will install NOD32 and get you the info in the next couple of days.

< complete memory dump from a freeze

Are you saying I have to wait for a hang to happen first?

Thanks for your help.

Greg

• Administrators

The dump must be from the time of a freeze, otherwise it wouldn't contain any useful data.