1anon1

ESET Internet Security uses almost 1GB of RAM. What's going on?

Hello.

Like it says in the title: Internet Security (Version 12) is using ~1GB of my RAM. Rebooted the Laptop to see if that would fix it (never has. This time it wasn't any different, either).

What are common causes for this? Rattle them down, including possible solutions and I will test each of them.

Regards.

Does the issue persist after switching to pre-release updates, downloading the update and rebooting the machine?

Switching to pre-release,  updating + restarting didn't fix it, issue still persists.

Cannot test version 13 as my OS (Windows 7) doesn't meet some requirements. Missing updates, I assume.

Any other ideas?

Please make sure that you have SP1 as well as the updates KB4474419 and KB4490628 installed. Without upgrade to v13 you would need to downgrade to v9 next year due to an expiring SHA1 cross certificate that cannot be renewed and only a SHA2 certificate will be used then. Therefore it's necessary to install the above mentioned updates on Windows 7 systems that will add support for SHA2 cryptographic hash functions.

I'm not too well versed in the area. What are the (practical) downsides of not having SHA2?

ESET will stop getting updates so you'll effectively lose protection from emerging threats.

There will be a campaign aimed at users with older versions to get them updated in time before any of the following events occur:

image.png