New to ESET Endpoint Protection; question about web filtering

Good morning everyone. I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge on this subject - I've been thrust into a role I wasn't quite prepared for and am scrambling to get caught up as quickly as possible!

We have a rather basic domain setup and would like to filter web traffic on it. Now, I have access to the remote server and the workstations, so my thought was I would use groups to maintain different policies. The reason is, some workstations will need to have access to the internet for looking up prices, parts, etc, while others should be restricted to manufacturer websites only...

Thing is, I'm not at all sure how to begin doing this, or even if the groups and policy settings function like that. Can I set these up on the remote server and push them out? Do the groups allow (as I think) for different policies to be distributed to different workstations?

Edited by Kittamaru

Hello Kittamaru,

This wil depend on which of our workstation products you are using. For what you are trying to do you will probably need ESET Endpoint Security. For instructions on how to get what you are wanting please click here .

Thank you

William

The workstations are running ESET Endpoint Antivirus - I would guess, from what you linked there, that the Endpoint A/V would not support this then?

Hello,

The web control is not included in the Endpoint Antivirus solution.

Web control : hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2512

Web control groups modification : hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN3051

It would be very simply to upgrade your existing to Endpoint Security.

Contact your local distributor and they should hook you up ! :)

If you need assistance migrating, return here. ;)

Edited by Arakasi

Alrighty then :) Thanks WilliamT and Arakasi, that helps clear things up for me :) 

As for upgrading - heh, if it were my choice, it'd be done in a heartbeat; as it is, I can only put forth the suggestion and see if it takes :)

Hello Kittamaru,

I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge on this subject - I've been thrust into a role I wasn't quite prepared for and am scrambling to get caught up as quickly as possible!

No problem. J Everyone starts out as a beginner. Hopefully we can address your questions and concerns.

Do the groups allow (as I think) for different policies to be distributed to different workstations?

Definitely. For more information about groups and using them to assign policies, please see the Knowledgebase articles below for instructions on this process:

Please note, if you use Parametric Groups to automatically assign your clients based on specified parameters, the Enter Rule Condition field will accept wildcards. For example, an OS Name Mask of “*server*” (without the quotes) will create a group of all clients connected to Remote Administrator that are running a Windows Server operating system (e.g. Server 2003, Server 2008, etc.).

Now, I have access to the remote server and the workstations, so my thought was I would use groups to maintain different policies. The reason is, some workstations will need to have access to the internet for looking up prices, parts, etc, while others should be restricted to manufacturer websites only

If you are using Endpoint Antivirus, you can use Web Access Protection to allow/block web sites by the URL. For more information about Web Access Protection, please see the Knowledgebase article below for instructions on this process:

If you want to block all web sites, except for those you want to explicitly allow, please follow the steps below:

1. Open the main program window by double-clicking the ESET icon in your Windows notification area or by clicking Start  All Programs  ESET  ESET Endpoint Security or ESET Endpoint Antivirus.
  2. Press the F5 key to open the Advanced Setup window.
  3. Expand Web and email  Web access protection, click URL address management and then select List of addresses excluded from filtering from the drop-down menu.
  4. Select the check box next to Allow access only to HTTP addresses in the list of allowed addresses.
  5. Select List of allowed addresses from the drop-down menu.
  6. Click Add to individually add the addresses you want to allow users to access. For each website, be sure to include a wildcard "*" symbol, as in "*eset.com*". Click OK to save your changes.
  7. Click OK to save your changes and exit the Advanced Setup window.

Thank you,

ChadH

Edited by Chadh