Jump to content
n1ghtm4n4g3r

Notifies of optional windows updates as recommended

Recommended Posts

Hi,

Up-to-date ESET Internet security (13.2.15.0)

"Setup / Advenced setup / Microsoft Windows Update / Notify about Microsoft Windows system updates" is set to "Recommended udates". Yet, ESET keeps notifying me about KB4568831, a Cumulative Update Preview which appears under the "Optional updates" section of "Windows Update" in "Settings" of Windows 10.

Note also that preview updates are what their name suggests: not fully tested updates, not recommended to use by the general public.

Is this a bug in ESET or does Microsoft incorrectly classify this particular update in some meta-data used by ESET?

Should I file a bug report on ESET (somewhere)? (I am not sure if ESET has a (public) bug-tracking service.)

Is there a work-around for this?

Thanks a lot,

Peter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as I know, we receive information about available OS updates as well as the category of particular updates from the operating system itself. I'd recommend opening a ticket with your local support to troubleshoot the issue and to confirm that the root cause lies outside of ESET.

Also we kindly ask you to choose a more friendly display name and we'll change it for you. "n1ghtm4n4g3r" is difficult to remember, quote, etc. If there were more users with a similar display name, it would be impossible for everyone to attribute posts to particular users.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, n1ghtm4n4g3r said:

"Setup / Advenced setup / Microsoft Windows Update / Notify about Microsoft Windows system updates" is set to "Recommended udates". Yet, ESET keeps notifying me about KB4568831, a Cumulative Update Preview which appears under the "Optional updates" section of "Windows Update" in "Settings" of Windows 10.

I believe this is a Microsoft "techno-babble" issue.

These Win 10 non-security updates are classified in the Microsoft Update Catalog as Recommended updates versus Optional updates. However, Microsoft in its KB articles will note that they show under the Win 10 Update Settings section of Optional Updates.

A true Optional update is Silverlight, etc..

Edited by itman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2020 at 3:46 PM, Marcos said:

Also we kindly ask you to choose a more friendly display name and we'll change it for you. "n1ghtm4n4g3r" is difficult to remember, quote, etc. If there were more users with a similar display name, it would be impossible for everyone to attribute posts to particular users.

Display name is not editable in account settings. (At least, I cannot edit it.) E-mail is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, n1ghtm4n4g3r said:

Display name is not editable in account settings. (At least, I cannot edit it.) E-mail is.

As I wrote, we'll change it for you. Just let me know your new display name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Marcos said:

As I wrote, we'll change it for you. Just let me know your new display name.

"Peter" would be friendly enough, I guess.

Thanks,

Peter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...