Router name has changed to that of a foreign device

I assume these are IoT devices. Could be Smart phones, TVs, hell .... even your refrigerator.

On 7/28/2020 at 12:28 AM, itman said:

I assume these are IoT devices. Could be Smart phones, TVs, hell .... even your refrigerator. I also use Eset Public profile.

This is why I have my PC connected to the router via Ethernet cable. The only other things Eset picks up are like Ethernet devices connected to the router. Now Eset sees my TV's Ethernet WAP device that control the set top boxes it uses, but never any devices connected to it.

Hi ITman, I appreciate you showing how different network scanners work.

There are no other smart devices at my home (no printer or smart appliances). In normal circumstances, I would see the router and only the laptop tapping on the router. Even the cable TV setup box does not appear (though something else did appear consistently in the past, which I presumed to be the TV setup box).

Now as in then, when there is unexplained infiltration, I will see devices in 2G network (without the 5G password ever entered into them) crossing over to the other network. MAC addresses correct. This could be the router's problem (hacked?). The call centre for the ASUS router said that this shouldn't be the case. now I put devices that "do not behave" (i.e. leading to the phenomenon of crossing over) in different guest networks that segregate them from the main network.

There can also be devices using combination of names similar to my other laptop or devices (or acronyms of the names of people at home), showing the wrong type of device (should be laptop but shown as phone, etc). Anyway, sometimes, these devices are not online or are not at home. and they cannot be accounted for (as in the crossing over of networks).  They have foreign MAC addresses. 

Once, I tried to filter out the MAC address persistent intruders through the router GUI, intruders with other MAC addresses turn up, probably spoofing of MAC. And a device started to assume the same MAC address as home device, but which is clearly not that as it remains in the network while the device is away, and the kind of device is incorrect.  

The fight continues!

Wireless Network Watcher can be a standalone app when I need to check who is in the network, if a device does not have ESET. Is it safe to use in your opinion? Does it have good reviews?

23 minutes ago, FLeong said:

Wireless Network Watcher can be a standalone app when I need to check who is in the network, if a device does not have ESET. Is it safe to use in your opinion? Does it have good reviews?

Eset will at times flag Nirsoft utilities as hack tools. Since this wasn't flagged as such by Eset, I assume its safe. Just download and use the portable version which runs w/o installation.

All this utility does is the equivalent to entering http://192.168.1.xxx in a browser to access your router settings. Actually, the utility is safer since a browser is not being deployed.

On 7/28/2020 at 12:39 AM, Marcos said:

The router identifies itself under different names. The dat file has helped us improve the heuristics for determining the name. Next week we plan to release a module update after which the router will be identified as RT-AC53.

Hi Marcos, I haven't seen the module update you said would be released. Where can I access that? Would the update be installed automatically?

• Administrators

If you don't have module version 1040 yet, you will receive it in the following days. If you want to receive it immediately, switch to the pre-release update channel in the advanced update setup.

image.png