Mac OS 11 Big Sur **BETA IS LIVE**

**10-9-2020 Edit**

Adding this for people searching for Big Sur BETA:

macOS Big Sur (11) (formerly known as macOS 10.16) is now available in the beta version only. ESET does not currently provide support for the beta version of macOS Big Sur (11).

https://support.eset.com/en/news7604-eset-support-of-macos-11-big-sur

-------------------------------------

Hello,

I am interested in testing any upcoming betas for Mac OS 11.

We use Macs heavily in our business environment so I am particularly interested in any deployment that will no longer require a kext to properly work.

Can you let me know if there is one available?

Thanks!

William

Edited by William Zujkowski
Update

• ESET Moderators

Hello @William Zujkowski,

as of now, we do not have them available for public testing yet.

The development team is working on it with a priority, I may let you know once we have them available for testing but no 100% promises as my memory does not serve me very well 🙂 

Peter

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, just want to find out if there is a version available for testing with big sur, I have one of my Macs running big sur and would like to have it protected.

We went through this with ESET with both the last two macOS products. I'd have thought you learned your lesson from that and had products available for your loyal Business users that have to test these well before they go live. Please release a Beta ASAP.

On 8/21/2020 at 3:28 PM, JonH said:

We went through this with ESET with both the last two macOS products. I'd have thought you learned your lesson from that and had products available for your loyal Business users that have to test these well before they go live. Please release a Beta ASAP.

I had the same thought ...

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, a beta should be available soon after public betas of Big Sur was made available.

I can understand that Eset needs some time to develop and internal testing (Alpha-stage), but it's important for us customers to start testing early as well.

Regards

Tommy V

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Big Sur has not been released yet therefore we cannot guarantee compatibility with the final version at the moment. The moment it's released, we should have fully compatible products available.

That's correct, Big Sur has not been released yet but given the very short period of time Apple gave developers to prepare for iOS 14 the final version could be here any time from now.

I'd really appreciate the possibility to test a beta version now, unfortunately I cannot test Big Sur in our environments with Esets products before general availability.

• Administrators

Unfortunately even our developers have not received a final version of Big Sur yet so we can't have a version fully compatible with it. It would be great if we got RTM versions of Mac OS in advance which is unfortunately not the case.

Got it, but why do you not publish a beta version for Big Sur beta? I‘d prefer a beta version that works almost correctly instead of waiting for a full compatible final release. 

@Marcos, normally developers develop using the beta-versions of an OS. Then, when they have done internal testing (alpha stage), they release a beta version of the application for a broader test-base.

Of cause, in this beta stage there might be both issues from the beta OS as well as issues from the beta application. But that's what's needed to progress and have a release candidate finished around the same time as the OS is released.

I think Eset is a bit to conservative with beta releases.....

Best regards

Tommy V

• Administrators

Since we are still working on a version compatible with Big Sur, we can't have a beta at this point. Not sure if other AVs that previously employed kernel extensions now offer a fully compatible version with system extensions but I assume they too are still working on it.

I complained about the lack of a beta in July (as did someone else).  I am now on developer beta 11.0.7 (Big Sur 20A5374g) and there has been no sign of an ESET beta.  When I complained, my personal license was extended for 2 months as "this is all we can do".  I dusted off my Symantec Endpoint Protection, installed and updated it and it has been working for over three months now.  I develop and security test for a large organization.  The lack of some kind of beta is bothersome.

• Administrators

It is necessary to realize the number of developers that Apple and ESET has. Also Apple had a lot of time to develop the beta; they might have started working on it even 2-3 years ago, I don't know. Within that time they made substantial changes to the code and now 3rd party developers have relatively little time to adapt to the changes. I can't tell which of the other AV vendors used kexts and now have to adapt their products to sexts for instance that Big Sur requires but I'd rather assume that they too are still working on making their products compatible with the new Mac OS.

Nobody thinks Eset should be finished by now, but at least a working beta should exist. Otherwise I really see problems when Big Sur might be released next month. 

• ESET Moderators

Hello guys,

we are working hard to have the products compatible on day of GA release or even before.

Generally we do not support BETA versions of any OSes (Windows, macOS, Android,...), those are not fully supported even by the vendors themselves and our product, which he heavily integrated into the OS needs a stable environment to work properly.

We utilize BETA programs to evaluate new features of our programs in the real world scenarios, not to test a compatibility against new version of OS, that is job of our QA... 

Peter

We switched to Symantec as well for our beta machines and its running fine on Big Sur. You guys really need to work on having betas ready for testing with new OS betas. Those of us in R&D departments have to test not just the OS, but also the 3rd party apps that run on them. The lack of a beta from ESET for these purposes have lead me to recommend that we replace ESET Business with another product.

13 hours ago, JonH said:

You guys really need to work on having betas ready for testing with new OS betas. Those of us in R&D departments have to test not just the OS, but also the 3rd party apps that run on them.

This is exactly the point, I want to test new OS beta including the 3rd party apps before the new OS versions are released to the public.