ESET Internet Security 13.2.15.0 Firewall not working

Windows 10 version 2004

i have noticed that the firewall is not working anymore in that it does not obey rules i have created and the only way to get some applications to connect is by disabling the firewall, i have had no problems using ESET for the many years that i have. the programs i am having trouble with are monkey mote for foobar(been working for years never had any trouble) and utorrent which will download but there are no incoming connections until i disable the firewall then all is good it does not matter what firewall mode i select still no connections until i disable the firewall other programs are connecting fine.I have plenty of experience with computers and ESET does anyone have any idea of what is going on,

also once utorrent makes the connections i can re-enable the firewall and the connections are not lost or terminated but no new connections will occur.

Edited by nothing1
extra info

• Administrators

It sounds like the appropriate rules allowing inbound communication are missing. Check the firewall wizard for a list of recently blocked communications and allow the desired ones. If necessary, adjust the appropriate rules and make them more general.

• ESET Insiders

Can that only confirm Marcos, I also wrote this error in the Post Many Eset Bugs, you know what, because the build 13.2.15.0 belongs in the bin and not that what you did there is a nonsense for every Eset customer who pays , so many mistakes and they never end, as in build 13.2.15.0 I haven't seen Eset in about 20 years, you shot yourself completely out of it, that advertising for you on my part, got rid of it, I will Don't recommend anyone anymore !!!

• Administrators

Please stop trolling and turning every question or user's issue against ESET. This topic is about the firewall which blocks inbound communication in case a rule doesn't exist for the communication and you again speak about it being a bug. Please stop doing that, trolling and ranting will not be tolerated. On the other hand, constructive feedback is always welcome.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, nothing1 said:

also once utorrent makes the connections i can re-enable the firewall and the connections are not lost or terminated but no new connections will occur.

You can provide us with logs as follows:
- enable advanced logging under Help and supprort -> Details for customer care
- reboot the machine
- reproduce the issue with blocked communication (avoid using other apps that generate network communication)
- stop logging
- collect logs with ESET Log Collector and upload the generated archive.

Thanks for the reply i seem to have got one program working as it should(monkeymote)for the moment any way i went into the firewall wizard and utorrent and some other apps had been blocked including ESET, i am not able to get the logs atm but if the problem still exists tomorrow i will do as you asked

• ESET Insiders
5 hours ago, Marcos said:

Please stop trolling and turning every question or user's issue against ESET. This topic is about the firewall which blocks inbound communication in case a rule doesn't exist for the communication and you again speak about it being a bug. Please stop doing that, trolling and ranting will not be tolerated. On the other hand, constructive feedback is always welcome.

What does that have to do with trolls Marcos when I write to you that the error has already been reported in my post and I point out to you ??? Or is the translation so bad that you do not understand what is written? I ask for an answer because I won't let them call me a troll !!!!

And if you have really read my Many Eset Bugs Post, this is exactly the problem I have described, what other people have confirmed in my topic and also on other forums this error is confirmed !!!

Edit: I emphasize it again Marcos, I would like to get an answer from you because I do not allow myself to be called a troll by you just because you do not seem to understand the translation !!!

Edited by SlashRose

everything is working as it should now(YAY) but i think that the other poster here may have a point in that it seems as though it can take a few attempts at creating a rule before it actually takes????????

• Administrators
1 hour ago, nothing1 said:

everything is working as it should now(YAY) but i think that the other poster here may have a point in that it seems as though it can take a few attempts at creating a rule before it actually takes????????

You wrote that everything was working, however, the second part contradicts that. Please be more specific as to what you mean that "it can take a few attempts at creating a rule before it actually takes".

Do you use interactive fw mode? If so, when you are prompted for an action and you choose to create a rule and then check the firewall rule list, is it empty?

One obvious reason for this is the OP and possibly others are not properly saving the created/modified firewall rule in the Eset GUI.

Make sure "OK" is always selected after firewall rule creation/modification and when exiting the rules creation section. Also select, "OK' on any subsequently Eset GUI screen display. This also applies to HIPS rule creation/modification.

It is strongly recommended after creating/modifying Eset firewall and HIPS rules and closing the Eset GUI, to reopen the GUI and verify that your previously created/modified rule exists. This is especially important for new Eset users who are not aware that Eset will not create a warning alert for unsaved rule changes.🙄

Edited by itman

• Most Valued Members

The other question is did the rules that stopped working work originally? If so what would stop these from working e.g. can rules get corrupted?

26 minutes ago, peteyt said:

If so what would stop these from working e.g. can rules get corrupted?

The only time I saw this happen is when I was using a much early version of Eset; believe it was the original Smart Security vers..

I decided to try out Interactive mode for a while. Then switched back to Automatic mode. Thereafter as I recollect if I tried to add rules manually and either the rules didn't work or they mysteriously disappeared. Or thereafter, I couldn't manually add firewall rules. Can't remember all the details since it has been some time.

Anyway I personally stay away from any firewall mode other that Automatic and just manually add rules as needed.

Also with the introduction of Win 10, Eset added the "Also evaluate rules from the Windows firewall" option to allow inbound traffic from those rules. Critical for not blocking Win 10 Store traffic. This option also "plays" nicely with Eset Automatic firewall mode and I suspect not so with Interactive mode.

Edited by itman

• ESET Insiders

@itman that is exactly the problem with the firewall rules of yesteryear, they are created and accepted in interactive mode, but every now and then, despite approval, there is a query for the same application, but only every now and then.

I will also add that I believe a lot of Eset firewall issues arise with users flipping between Interactive and Automatic mode.

In the old Eset version where I used Interactive mode, I recollect Eset auto added a block all rule at the end of the existing rule set. Don't know if that rule still is generated or it's there but hidden from user view. Switching to Automatic mode obviously removed the block all rule. However switching back to Interactive mode didn't recreate the block all rule. And/or additional bork permutations along this line.

Now add this parsing of Windows Firewall inbound rules option into the above mix and I can see how the firewall can end up in "spastic" mode.

There is a simple way to get Interactive mode functionality when Automatic mode is deployed. Simple add the above mentioned block all rule at the end of the existing rule and remember to reposition to the end whenever a new firewall rule is created. What needs to tested is if this block all rule will negate the use of Windows Firewall inbound rules option use. This would be verified by suddenly inbound Win Store and package apps traffic being blocked.

Edited by itman

• ESET Insiders

itman for me the firewall has always been running in interactive mode, for me there is no change of mode, never, so it can have nothing to do with it, as I said, it is exactly the same firewall error that we had about 2 years ago had!

On 7/19/2020 at 4:57 AM, itman said:

I will also add that I believe a lot of Eset firewall issues arise with users flipping between Interactive and Automatic mode.

In the old Eset version where I used Interactive mode, I recollect Eset auto added a block all rule at the end of the existing rule set. Don't know if that rule still is generated or it's there but hidden from user view. Switching to Automatic mode obviously removed the block all rule. However switching back to Interactive mode didn't recreate the block all rule. And/or additional bork permutations along this line.

Now add this parsing of Windows Firewall inbound rules option into the above mix and I can see how the firewall can end up in "spastic" mode.

There is a simple way to get Interactive mode functionality when Automatic mode is deployed. Simple add the above mentioned block all rule at the end of the existing rule and remember to reposition to the end whenever a new firewall rule is created. What needs to tested is if this block all rule will negate the use of Windows Firewall inbound rules option use. This would be verified by suddenly inbound Win Store and package apps traffic being blocked.

this is exactly what i have done " flipping between Interactive and Automatic mode" maybe this is what is causing the issues as when i think about it i have had problems in the past where things didn't work after changing modes, i am now using automatic mode and will not change and i will see if any problems arise. in regards to contradicting myself let me explain, after creating the rules and them not working i deleted them and re-created them again after a few attempts of deleting and re-creating the rules took and everything worked again and still is.Let me be clear i really like ESET i have not got any infection ever since i started using it (from version 8)but i do believe that there is a problem with the firewall going mad from time to time,and i believe that this will be looked into an fixed at some point when they figure out just what is going on.