Jump to content

Trace message - Invalid utf8 leading byte


Recommended Posts

I run the Client Task from ESMC for Software Install to Upgrading EEA 7.3, most Clients succeeded in the upgrade, but a few failed and one of them displayed the Trace Message as follows:

Screenshot_2020-07-16_11-31-45.png.e999320762c9d4692e70157bfa17a3f8.png

Screenshot_2020-07-16_11-37-07.thumb.png.119481334b741a2826edd72a09cd02d3.png

What does that mean?

ESMC Server 7.2.1266.0, Agent 7.2.1266.0, Client OS: Windows 7/10

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • ESET Staff

Unfortunately it seems to be an issue in ESMC Agent not able to handle trace messages. Any chance full msiexec log from those installations is available (in standard AGENT logs directory) for analysis? There is probably issue with encoding - I guess that installation was performed on operating system with non-latin locale?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MartinK said:

Unfortunately it seems to be an issue in ESMC Agent not able to handle trace messages. Any chance full msiexec log from those installations is available (in standard AGENT logs directory) for analysis? There is probably issue with encoding - I guess that installation was performed on operating system with non-latin locale?

This is one of the clients that failed to upgrade, the error message is in Chinese, this kind of message also appeared before, why this is an Invalid utf8 leading byte?

software-install.log

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • ESET Staff
3 hours ago, sdnian said:

This is one of the clients that failed to upgrade, the error message is in Chinese, this kind of message also appeared before, why this is an Invalid utf8 leading byte?

software-install.log 166.53 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks for logs. We are currently not sure but most probable reason is that either message is cut-off (there is maximal length) in wrong place and thus rendering string as invalid, or there is a problem with conversion of data as reported by system.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MartinK said:

Thanks for logs. We are currently not sure but most probable reason is that either message is cut-off (there is maximal length) in wrong place and thus rendering string as invalid, or there is a problem with conversion of data as reported by system.

This issue seems to have occurred after I upgraded ESMC 7.2, maybe there is a tweak or something in the new version that is causing this problem.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...