Many bugs in Eset Internet Security 13.2.15.0

• ESET Insiders

This is the first time since NOD v2 that I had such a buggy final version of Eset on the PC, first the automatic update does not work after booting the PC, the first signature update must be carried out directly after booting Manuel, then play the signatures automatically open again.
Error 2: The number of files already scanned does not work with a virus scan, this stops counting at some point during the virus scan
Error 3: This is an old known bug that was actually ironed out and that when upgrading from Eset to the new build 13.2.15.0 not all the rules created are adopted, in some cases you have to enter a newly created firewall rule several times until it really works!
Error 3: When the Eset Gui is called up and you want to run a virus scan and want to define settings for it, the Eset Gui starts to tick.
Error 4: The specified settings for a virus scan, especially if the registry is only to be scanned, Eset not only scans the registry, but also all possible folders, this does not always occur, but very often!
Error 5: The network monitor does not always work, sometimes yes and sometimes just not right, then there are the well-known errors, namely the logging of network attacks that are not logged, etc. etc., this time I am really amazed at all of them Error in the final version, this version 13.2.15.0 is best known as beta, but did not deserve the term final. With these things I always ask myself, because these errors already existed in the alpha version, why should I report this to the German support if these messages seem to be ignored!

• Administrators

The only known issue with v13.2.15 is that the registry and WMI scanners attempt to scan also non-existing objects. This will be fixed via a module update soon. As for other issues, I'm not aware of other users having reported them with one exception. Please report them to your local ESET support with steps how to reproduce them. If necessary, the support will ask for further logs necessary for troubleshooting.

As for a bug-free software, there's nothing like that. We don't live in a perfect world and every software maker releases new versions and updates to address reported issues. Even Microsoft releases monthly updates with fixes.

In the main window, when clicking Computer Scan, and then Scan your computer, it starts the full scan, right? 

image.png.12b8c64ed8d60bf631325eb4916fc9c9.png

Then if I go to the main window again and this time, click the number 2 indicated in the screenshot, it creates new scan?

image.png.ef8cfdeb75d2e0951410b57f15d30c83.png

So why multiple FULL scans at the same time, is that a bug? 

• Most Valued Members
4 minutes ago, r1man said:

In the main window, when clicking Computer Scan, and then Scan your computer, it starts the full scan, right? 

Then if I go to the main window again and this time, click the number 2 indicated in the screenshot, it creates new scan?

Scan your computer is a shortcut for scanning the computer , instead of going to computer scan and starting a new scan from there , that is just a shortcut.

And having multiple scans is not disabled or prevented , as long as you can click you can make scans.

Try yourself, go to step 1 in the screenshot and do a Scan my computer, then after that, come to the main window, ( step number 2 in the screenshot) and click the Scan, now you have two multiple the same scan running. 

I meant to ask, why it should create second scan.

• Administrators

It's ok. If you run 2 scans, 2 scans will run. There's no limitation to run only 1 scan at a time.

• ESET Insiders
2 hours ago, r1man said:

I agree. #2 happens for me too. #1 doesn't happen for me.

#3 (Gui) couldn't reproduce that. 

Mistake three with the gui doesn't happen every time, but often!

• ESET Insiders
1 hour ago, Marcos said:

As for a bug-free software, there's nothing like that. We don't live in a perfect world and every software maker releases new versions and updates to address reported issues. Even Microsoft releases monthly updates with fixes.

Windows is a completely different story and 1000 times more complex than Eset and all of that.
If errors have already been reported in an alpha phase and then still exist despite the report in the final + the errors of the previous build, then this has nothing to do with a final version or do I see something wrong? Above all, one wonders why one tests Alpha versions for Eset if the reported errors still exist in the finale?

Looks like there's an issue with Eset and periodic WMI crashes on Win 10 based on postings in this thread: https://forum.eset.com/topic/23826-wmi-provider-crash/ .

At first I thought it might be related to Win 10 2004 and the latest Eset release. However, one poster stated it occurred prior to the latest Eset release. Another poster stated he was not running Win 10 2004 but running the latest Eset release.

This also might be happening to others using Eset but do not check Win 10 Reliability events. I personally have never had such a WMI crash and frequently check my Reliability events.

20 hours ago, Marcos said:

The only known issue with v13.2.15 is that the registry and WMI scanners attempt to scan also non-existing objects. This will be fixed via a module update soon. As for other issues, I'm not aware of other users having reported them with one exception. Please report them to your local ESET support with steps how to reproduce them. If necessary, the support will ask for further logs necessary for troubleshooting.

Dear Marcos, can you give an ETA?

same problem here... windows 10 update stopped working. 0x80245006

windows10 2004 19041.329

tried everything, nothing helps

must be an eset problem... 

attached the windows update log, there is a certificate error

WindowsUpdate.log

Edited by deepblue2000

• Administrators
56 minutes ago, deepblue2000 said:

same problem here... windows 10 update stopped working. 0x80245006

Does temporarily disabling protocol filtering in the advanced setup make a difference? If not, with this option disabled it's unlikely that ESET would interfere with http/https communication during update.

3 hours ago, deepblue2000 said:

attached the windows update log, there is a certificate error

Please post a screen shot of the event log entry. Only Eset moderators can access forum posted attachments.

3 hours ago, SlashRose said:

For me the Windows Update runs error-free, which doesn't mean anything.

Actually, there hasn't been a Win 10 Cumulative update since ver. 13.2.15 rolled out. That happens tomorrow and then we will know if versions prior to Win 10 2004 are also borked.

So far, just checking for Win Updates works fine on win 10 1909 and Eset 13.2.15 versions.

6 hours ago, Marcos said:

Does temporarily disabling protocol filtering in the advanced setup make a difference? If not, with this option disabled it's unlikely that ESET would interfere with http/https communication during update.

I was unable to download any apps from win store and check updates for windows.
disabling protocol foltering fixed 0x80245006 for me.

Edited by funzee

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, funzee said:

In case you're able to reproduce it, it'd be great if you could generate an advanced protocol filtering log (adv. setup -> tools -> diagnostics) prior to starting update that would fail. Microsoft's communication is excluded from filtering in case of HTTPS, maybe updates were downloaded via HTTP in your case and something went wrong. The issue would require further investigation to determine the root cause of the error.

56 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Microsoft's communication is excluded from filtering in case of HTTPS

Not from what I am seeing in SSL/TLS filtered communications.

It is full of Store apps including the ClicktoRun updater for 2019 Home and Office. Additionally, WIn 10 two updating processes run under svchost.exe which is also being filtered.

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

In case you're able to reproduce it, it'd be great if you could generate an advanced protocol filtering log (adv. setup -> tools -> diagnostics) prior to starting update that would fail. Microsoft's communication is excluded from filtering in case of HTTPS, maybe updates were downloaded via HTTP in your case and something went wrong. The issue would require further investigation to determine the root cause of the error.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_CTvV8YAFAXON67S_ziznBUC8q0OqYO0

full dump is over 100mb so Ive uploaded it to gdrive.

On 7/12/2020 at 9:36 PM, r1man said:

This is the way If you would like to scan for some objects, for i.e if you would like to scan only the file you can right clicks on the file then the No.1 shortcut menu will appear, if you would like to scan the hole your computer then you can use the No.2 Menu, you can use simultaneous scanning with the above menus. There are also another pop menu to scan the media when the Media Plugin into your computer, if you  activated this menu as per screen shot.

Pop Up Scan Menu.jpg

Removable Media.jpg

Edited by HANDJOJO

• ESET Insiders
12 hours ago, itman said:

Actually, there hasn't been a Win 10 Cumulative update since ver. 13.2.15 rolled out. That happens tomorrow and then we will know if versions prior to Win 10 2004 are also borked.

So far, just checking for Win Updates works fine on win 10 1909 and Eset 13.2.15 versions.

We are going to surprise it tonight at 7 p.m., I will report afterwards, if I go to Update Search now, I am not getting an error message. I will report this evening after the patches come, I'm curious!

• ESET Insiders
12 hours ago, funzee said:

I just had a look for updates in the MS Store, for me the MS Store updates work quite normally.

• ESET Moderators

@funzee

12 hours ago, funzee said:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_CTvV8YAFAXON67S_ziznBUC8q0OqYO0

full dump is over 100mb so Ive uploaded it to gdrive.

I downloaded them and sadly, you provided us process dumps, which does not hold the data needed to analyze the issue 😞 

please proceed as Marcos suggested:

13 hours ago, Marcos said:

So enable the logging, reproduce the issue, disable the logging and share with us the output so we can check it.

Peter