Slow Virus Scan After Update

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

Also itman acknowledged the steps to run a smart scan that I mentioned, there's no problem with him

Actually, there is.

Here's my strong recommendation on how this Registry and WMI scanning should be implemented. I really believe that Eset developers have "lost reality" when it comes to novice Eset users and not so novice ones to boot.

When the Eset default off-line scan is selected, a pop-up screen will be displayed per below screen shot. If the option to "Remember this setting" is enabled and the "No" tab is selected, the popup showing will be deferred thereafter and Registry and WMI scanning will not be performed for subsequent default off-line scans. -EDIT- Likewise if the "Yes" tab is selected and "Remember this setting" is enabled, the popup showing will be deferred thereafter and Registry and WMI scanning will be performed for subsequent default off-line scans.

If for some reason this setting needs to be reversed, selecting the Eset GUI revert to default settings for this section will re-enable the popup display.

Eset_Scan.thumb.png.0c7076c99c833ecca6cf4116bd9bcccf.png

There is also the existing issue of user created scan profiles and Eset scanning overriding non-selection of Registry and WMI scanning for those that needs to be corrected by Eset.

Edited by itman

7 hours ago, Marcos said:

How long does the scan take for you with and without WMI & registry selected ? Scanning these newly added objects should take a few minutes, not dozens of minutes or hours.

All with the new 13.2.15.0.

Initial Scan: 1 hours 38 mins Objects Scanned: 265982.

WMI & Registry Only: 1 hours 7 minutes 34 seconds (before I stopped it!)

It's clear from these figures, and other provided by itman, that the current public release is an utter load of rubbish!

How on earth a company of ESET's reputation released this mess into the public arena is disgraceful and worthy of a detailed report.

Don't see why I should stay with ESET, when my confidence in the company has been reduced to nil.

Edited by mallard65

• Administrators

A new cleaner module is being tested which will not attempt to scan non-existing objects and files on the disk during a WMI and registry scan. We expect it to be released soon, depending on how well the testing goes.

• ESET Insiders
14 hours ago, mallard65 said:

It's clear from these figures, and other provided by itman, that the current public release is an utter load of rubbish!

How on earth a company of ESET's reputation released this mess into the public arena is disgraceful and worthy of a detailed report.

Don't see why I should stay with ESET, when my confidence in the company has been reduced to nil.

I am 100% there with you, I am now disappointed that you make the effort to test the software, report the errors found to the German support and all reported errors in the final, or so-called final, in my eyes nothing more than a very bad beta version is to find again + to find the errors of the previous build again, if this continues with Eset, I will also consider whether I should pay for it and that although I am an absolute Eset I'm a fan and have been using it since NOD v2, I am really very disappointed!

• Administrators

We have tested a new cleaner module and the results are promising. Extensive scanning of WMI and registry will be probably accomplished only with the In-depth scan profile where the scan time doesn't matter.

If anybody's willing to test it, please let me know.

34 minutes ago, Marcos said:

We have tested a new cleaner module and the results are promising. Extensive scanning of WMI and registry will be probably accomplished only with the In-depth scan profile where the scan time doesn't matter.

PM it to me with instructions on how to replace existing cleaner module. I believe that has to be done in Win Safe mode as I recollect. I will rename existing module in the case I have to revert to it.

I won't be able to test this morning but will do so early this afternoon.

Edited by itman

7 hours ago, Marcos said:

Marginal scan speed improvement with beta em005_64.dll.

As posted previously, with existing 13.2.15 ver. em005_64.dll, the registry and WMI scan was 22 mins. With the beta em005_64.dll, scan time was 16:30 mins.

Eset needs to implement registry and WMi scanning bypass option for default scan as I recommended and illustrated previously.

Edited by itman

• Administrators
1 hour ago, r1man said:

@itman When the next update/fix will be out? Thanks.

Itman doesn't work for ESET so he cannot know. I do and I don't know either because the module is being tested and no ETA is available. All we can say at this point that the module will be released soon, most likely within a couple of days.

Now that Eset has rolled out the new cleaner module on pre-release updates, I thought I would see if registry and WMI scan time improved. This time I did a Custom scan as Admin of registry and WMI only. As the below screen shot shows, scan times have not improved. What I do recommend is if scanning registry and WMI, definitely do so as Admin. Only two files  were denied access by the OS which were strangely notepad.exe and PowerShell.exe.

Eset_WMI_Reg_Scan.thumb.png.1f0cc1e521ca90eeabd33499cf3eff15.png

• ESET Insiders

The beta was only taking 5 to 6 minutes to scan registry and WMI. I wonder what changed?

• Administrators
3 hours ago, stackz said:

The beta was only taking 5 to 6 minutes to scan registry and WMI. I wonder what changed?

Non-existing objects referenced in WMI and registry are now omitted from scanning.

• Most Valued Members
6 hours ago, Marcos said:

Non-existing objects referenced in WMI and registry are now omitted from scanning.

Just curious what does this mean? Non existing as in it was scanning for things that weren't there?

9 hours ago, Marcos said:

Not on my EIS 13.2.15 installation. As posted above.

Prior to new cleaner module release:

Number of scanned objects: 35474
Number of detections: 0
Time of completion: 5:08:45 PM  Total scanning time: 1317 sec (00:21:57)

After new cleaner module release:

Number of scanned objects: 36189
Number of detections: 0
Time of completion: 3:46:12 PM  Total scanning time: 1236 sec (00:20:36)

Edited by itman

• Administrators
56 minutes ago, itman said:

Not on my EIS 13.2.15 installation. As posted above.

The new module was supposed to fix file opening errors which wasn't supposed to decrease the scan time significantly.

I have a theory and strongly suspect this is the reason for the excessive registry and WMI scan times.

Eset off-line scanning by default using the ThreatSense real-time scanning profile. In that profile, I have all options set to Aggressive. I will reset the off-line scanning ThreatSense settings to the default Balanced setting and retest if this improves registry and WMI scan times.

• Administrators

Actually aggressive vs balanced settings affect only detection, not scanning and currently affect mainly Augur detection only. We plan to make further optimizations to reduce scan times.

4 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Actually aggressive vs balanced settings affect only detection, not scanning and currently affect mainly Augur detection only. We plan to make further optimizations to reduce scan times.

Thanks for the "heads up" on this one.

Hello.

Has the new cleaner update been released to the public release channel?

I know that I can switch to the pre-release update channel but, for the usual reasons, I prefer to stick to the public release versions.

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, mallard65 said:

Has the new cleaner update been released to the public release channel?

Yes, it was released for all users on July 16.

• ESET Insiders

I was  just testing the custom scan now and selected "Operating memory,Boot sector, WMI, System registry, Desktop"

I see some files being scanned too many times like storage.dll in SysWOW64

And some files took ESET sometime to finish ( i can send one of them if you like )

Scan finished after 25min

Did a custom scan again for the C drive ( System Drive ) with Boot sectors and UEFI selected by defaults and scan finished after 5min only

Edited by BALTAGY