Very high CPU load under Windows 8.1 update

xbmcnut
Go to solution Solved by xbmcnut,

Hi,

In the last two days, most likely since some Windows updates have been applied, my X64 Lenovo X220 has become unuseable for long periods as Eset NOD32 (7.0.302.26) starts consuming very high CPU counts as much as 50-60%. This normally starts after about 20-30 minutes.

I uninstalled yesyerday and everything returned to normal and after another 300mb of Windows updates today, I thought I'd reinstall and try again but same thing. PC ends up running so slow it takes 2 minutes just to open task manager.

Uninstalling NOD32 is the only current resolution. Anyone else seeing this? Running 7.0.302.26 on three other computers; Windows 7 32bit, Vista and XP and no issues on any of those.

X220, Core i7-2620M, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Windows 8.1 Pro.

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

Just to confirm, are you talking about the specific act of upgrading Windows 8 x64 to Windows 8.1 (or Windows 8.1 to Windows 8.1 Update), or the monthly installation of Windows Updates (so-called "Patch Tuesday" updates)?

Also, are you running Windows 8, Windows 8 Pro, Windows 8 Enterprise or some other version?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Hello,

Just to confirm, are you talking about the specific act of upgrading Windows 8 x64 to Windows 8.1 (or Windows 8.1 to Windows 8.1 Update), or the monthly installation of Windows Updates (so-called "Patch Tuesday" updates)?

Also, are you running Windows 8, Windows 8 Pro, Windows 8 Enterprise or some other version?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Windows 8.1 update (Pro). Problems have only started in last three days and 3-4 weeks after I upgraded to Windows 8.1 update so problem must be related to another program/service or the recent patches.

I reinstalled today and it ran fine for two hours then all of a sudden, the fan started racing and the CPU usage went to 53% all attributed to NOD32. Computer was so slow the log collector would not run. Crashed out of Windows and rebooted and run log collector straight away before it got out of hand again. Had to crash Windows again and reboot to uninstall NOD32 so at least I could work. Have two log files know I can PM.

Edited by xbmcnut

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

Okay.  I have a ThinkPad X220 (i7, 16GB, 120 mSATA SSD) running Windows 8.1 Update Pro x64 that I have not installed the latest round of Windows Updates on, which is very similar to the scenario you reported.  I will power it up when I get home and see if I can help to repro the issue.

Just to check, what are you using to monitor CPU usage, just the regular Task Manager/Performance Monitor combo, or something else?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

@Aryeh,

Thanks, just sent you some logs. Using Windows task manager although this takes 2-3 minutes to open when Eset goes nuts!

Edited by xbmcnut

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

Okay, the X220 I have has not been turned on for several weeks, so it has 36 updates (approximately 1,080MB) to install.  I first let ESET Smart Security 7.0.302.26 download all of its updates, and waited for it to finish and the system begin to idle (3% CPU) before starting Windows Update.

I began the install of updates at 11:56 PM with CPU utilization at about 45% until updates finished downloading at 11:59.  At this point, installation of the updates begain, with CPU utilization hitting around 65% at 12:02, peaking a few times at 100% at 12:04 before dropping down to 75% at 12:05 and dropping about 10% a minute after that until 12:08, when installation finished.  At around 12:10, system utilization suddenly rose again to 80%, dropping down to 11% at 12:12 (looks like a scan just ran, judging from disk activity.  The machine's now idling at 9% and I've done a restart to apply the updates.

System back up and running at 12:15 and now idling,

Hrm... I looked quickly through the log files you sent over, and noticed that in the ESET SysInspector logs there seems to be a lot of software and hardware attached to the X220 that I don't have.  I'm going to follow up with our tech support engineers on Monday to go over the logs further with them.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

@Aryeh,

Strange. You wrote this as I was just trying again. I had read somewhere that Google Drive Sync might not play nice so I disabled that and tried to install NOD32 again. This time, it was only 5 minutes before NOD started climbing. I quickly uninstalled while my computer was still usable. Obviously there's something on my machine that NOD does not like but strange it only started 4 days ago. The last software update was Firefox 29.1 on 16th which I do leave open pretty much all of the time.

Hopefully the logs reveal something?

• Administrators

If temporarily disabling real-time protection makes a difference, please create a Process monitor log from the situation when ekrn.exe utilizes more cpu resources. When done, compress the log, upload it to a safe location and pm me the download link.

• Administrators

Unfortunately, disabling real-time protection makes no difference.

That's weird as a high cpu usage is usually caused by real-time protection scanning files that are frequently being modified. As a next step, start Windows in safe mode and temporarily rename ekrn.exe in C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\x86\ekrn.exe.

This is to confirm or deny if the issue is related to ESET. After renaming ekrn.exe, no protection module should be active. You may receive an error message from egui.exe which can be ignored.

I saw this yesterday from an users with XP. Peaked at 100%.. We are using the latest Eset Endpoint Antivirus enterprise. I disabled (saw others report this as early as 2007).. but didn't work. Only fix was getting it to restart. Monitoring now. One solution from Eset pointed to WSUS 3.0 which we use but stated the fix was released in 2007. Other, updating to later subscription releases, which are behind on where we are at.. 

• Solution

I'm pleased to advise that after the upgrade to 7.0.317.4, my problems have gone. CPU sat at about 34% while the first Malware scan took place which had me worried. Settled down after that finished but then shot back up again and stayed high (~35%) so I disabled real-time protection for 1 hour. When I turned protection back on, all is fine and it's been running now for 24hrs with CPU for ekrn.exe currently showing 0% CPU which is great.

Thanks for all your help.