Clients won't switch to new Remote Admin Server

WBlank

We are in the process of virtualizing our servers, and I have created a new ESET server on my network, so at this time I have two. Once the migration actually works, we'll only have the new one. My problem is when I log into the old server and use its ESET Remote Admin Console, I select every computer on it's client list and create a configuration task. In this task, I put in the address of the new server for the Remote Administration field, and also for the Update Server.

Upon activating this task, the most confounding clusterf has occurred. About 50% of the clients packed up their belongings and moved over to the client list for the new server. 100% of them also stayed behind on the old server, which is fine, when that server is turned off, it'll sort itself out. Secondly, of those 50% that it actually worked for, some decided to switch update servers, and some didn't.

So I've compiled a list to check one by one, to see why they won't listen to the voice of reason and migrate to the new server. I can ping these machines from both servers just fine. When I activate the task to make the clients move over, it just says Waiting for the State, it never activates. What's the deal?

Hello WBlank,

First, please ensure both the Remote Administrator (ERA) server and console are on the latest version on the old server and the new server.

For instructions on this process, please see our Knowledgebase article How do I upgrade ESET Remote Administrator to the latest version?Next, please set the clients to use the new server’s address, using the Policy Manager. Please make these adjustments to the policy on both the old and new ERA server. For instructions on this process, please see below:

1. Open the ESET Remote Administrator console (ERAC) by double-clicking the ESET Remote Administrator Console icon on your Desktop, or by clicking Start  All Programs  ESET  ESET Remote Administrator Console  ESET Remote Administrator Console.
  2. Click Tools  Policy manager.
  3. Select the policy that applies to the client workstations you want to transfer to your new server and click Edit.
  4. Please navigate to the appropriate location for you product(s), based on the directions below:
    1. For Endpoint products: Expand Windows desktop v5  Kernel  Settings  Remote administration and then click Primary server address.
    2. For NOD32 and Smart Security Business Edition version 3 and 4: Expand Windows product line v3 and v4  Kernel  Settings  Remote administration and then click Primary server address.
    3. For File Security for Windows Server: Expand Windows Server 4.5  File Security 4.5 for MS Windows Server  General Settings  Miscellaneous  Remote administration  Primary server and then click Server address.
    4. For Mail Security for Exchange: Expand Windows Server 4.5  Mail Security 4.5 for MS Exchange Server  General Settings  Miscellaneous  Remote administration  Primary server and then click Server address.
  5. Type the hostname or IP address of your new server into the Value field.
  6. Please navigate to the appropriate location for you product(s), based on the directions below:
    1. For Endpoint products: Expand Windows desktop v5  Update  Profile  Settings, and then click Update server.
    2. For NOD32 and Smart Security Business Edition version 3 and 4: Expand Windows product line v3 and v4  Update  Profile  Settings, and then click Update server.
    3. For File Security for Windows Server: Expand Windows Server 4.5  File Security 4.5 for MS Windows Server  Update module  Profile and then click Update server.
    4. For Mail Security for Exchange: Expand Windows Server 4.5  Mail Security 4.5 for MS Exchange Server  Update module  Profile and then click Update server.
  7. Type the hostname (or IP address) and port # of the new server into the Value field in the form hxxp://hostname:2221 (or hxxp://xxx.xxx.x.x:xxxx)
  8. Click Console and then click Yes to save your changes. Client workstations assigned to this policy will inherit your new server settings the next time that they check into the ERAS.

If your workstations are not appearing in the Clients tab of the new Remote Administrator, please click or copy/paste the following ESET Knowledgebase article into your web browser:

Why can't I see client workstations in the client tab of the ESET Remote Administrator Console?

Thanks,

ChadH