Got A Question About Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Purpleroses

With background intelligent transfer service are you suppose to see it in the task manager all the time or is it meant to only run when there is jobs or updates?  Sometimes I see it and sometimes I don't.  In event viewer I see it goes from demand start to auto start then from auto start to demand start.  Is this normal or do I have to worry about this? Is Background intelligent transfer service suppose to be seen in task manager all the time?

Well, according to Microsoft, BITS startup type is supposed to be set to demand; i.e. manual - triggered, if no BITS jobs are actively running: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/bits/bits-startup-type . However on my Win 10 1909 build, it is currently set to manual.

As expected, Microsoft internally doesn't even know what it's doing anymore.

30 minutes ago, Purpleroses said:

Background intelligent transfer service suppose to be seen in task manager all the time?

Depends on the Win OS version you are using. On later Win 10 versions, the answer is no.

Edited by itman

I'm using windows 10, version 2004. I know my BITS is set to manual.   So I'm taking it is set to manual for this version of windows 2004 and no to see it in the task manager all  the time?

Thanks Itman

Edited by Purpleroses

I got a new question about com surrogate in task manager.  I see one com surrogate running all the time in task manager is that normal and it is not taking up memory or cpu?  I do not ever receive any error messages or anything.   Just was wondering why it is running all the time?

26 minutes ago, Purpleroses said:

On your system is it  running all the time?  Thank you Itman!!

It is as far as Win Task Manager goes. Using Process Explorer, it "does a disappearing act" in that dllhost.exe appears to shutdown shortly after PE starts up. However, Task Manager still shows it is running. Might be a PE bug or something.