Help with Connected Home Monitor

Good morning everyone, I have some questions regarding ESET INTERNET SECURITY.  

When I open Eset and go to "connected home monitor", I have two options.Whether I go to "continue anyway" to see all devices connected to my network but CAN'T scan my router or click on "change the network type" where I get a tab of "change network connection" and if I chose Home or office network I will be able to scan my router...My problem is that I have family members and others in my apartment I live that I don't want my computer and files be visible to them. So what should be done to scan my network and router?

connec.png.67752dd591b18375274989bb70386006.png

2 :In connected home monitor ,why items aren't showing in chronological order?(please check the picture attached, j7nic device is placed before huawei device)monitor.thumb.png.3e880de454310899e09eda35a271fc72.png

3:when a new device connects to my network,I am not getting a notification but I can see it on my connected home monitor.Why I don't get notification ?

Untitled.png.d3248235988fa0073f5917e3a58e1b5b.png

4: about scanning,sometimes I do scan a full scan in the same day,why do scans take different time (sometimes a full scan takes 33 min, 47 )min..and why the object scanned is different (sometimes the number is 280 827,sometimes 271506 items ).Why isn't the time and object scanned the same?Is it a normal to have a different number of object scanned within the same day when I do a full scan?724964952_SCANLOG.thumb.png.ff1b49f48c03379b24a2940d9251f795.png

THANK YOU SO SO MUCH

Edited by Marcos
Titled redacted

• Administrators

Connected Home Monitor works with home networks as the name suggests. On public networks only a one-time scan is performed. As a result, you won't get notifications about new devices in public networks. Also a vulnerability scan is limited only to home networks.

Devices show up in circles depending on when they connected. There's no particular left-to-right order as far as I know.

So if I go to "connected home monitor" and select "change the network type" , I will get this pic .connected.png.55fe9dbb0a69c77f42e01d406e0be157.png

If I chose "Home or office network" all my familymembers and the people who have my network password will be able to see my files and what i am surfing ? Thank you

Thank you so much for answering, Do you have any answer to the 4th question (in my first post) about the scan ?

• Administrators

If you run 2 scans in a row without any module update in between, the second scan will be significantly faster (unless you have a lot of archives on the disk). However, if modules are updated between the scans, the second scan will not be that quick since cached results from the first scan will be invalidated.

1 hour ago, mimii said:

When I  open advanced settings I get this :

Open Eset GUI. Mouse click on Setup. From the Setup screen display, mouse click in Advanced Setup per the below screen shot. Real-time and Advanced Machine Learning settings will now be displayed.

Additionally if Computer Protection is selected, mouse clicking on Advanced Setup from there will also display Real-time and Advanced Machine Learning settings.

Eset_Setup.thumb.png.26f086fc7508e5ae307134bb0e86752b.png

Edited by itman

3 minutes ago, mimii said:

I believe the Real-time and Advanced Machine Learning settings were added in ver 13.1.xx.

1 minute ago, itman said:

I believe the Real-time and Advanced Machine Learning settings were added in ver 13.1.xx.

my version is 13.0.22.0 , I don't know what is going with me. I think I have seen" Real-time and Advanced Machine Learning protection" before in my eset, but today I can't find it.

13 minutes ago, mimii said:

my version is 13.0.22.0

The settings you are looking for do not exist in ver. 13.0.xx. They were added in ver. 13.1.xx. Upgrade your Eset version.

What's new in ESET Internet Security 13.1

Advanced machine learning

Advanced machine learning is an advanced layer of protection that improves detection based on machine learning. Read more about this type of protection in the Glossary. The Detection engine setup no longer provides ON/OFF switches as for version 13.0 and below. ON/OFF buttons are replaced with four thresholds - "Aggressive", "Balanced", "Cautious" and "Off".

https://help.eset.com/eis/13/en-US/?whats_new.html

Edited by itman

1 hour ago, itman said:

The settings you are looking for do not exist in ver. 13.0.xx. They were added in ver. 13.1.xx. Upgrade your Eset version.

https://help.eset.com/eis/13/en-US/?whats_new.html

thanks so much for clarifying. Can you explain why would "potentially unsafe apps " be disabled by default? what is the point?

Untitled2.thumb.png.edc6499394ea01cfc030d8fbd5246cac.pngUntitled.png.4bb906200c2fee0071ab8a505ce7067d.png

2 hours ago, mimii said:

Can you explain why would "potentially unsafe apps " be disabled by default? what is the point?

The best explanation comes from the Eset glossary:

Potentially unsafe applications

There are many legitimate programs whose function is to simplify the administration of networked computers. However, in the wrong hands, they may be misused for malicious purposes. ESET provides the option to detect such applications.

Potentially unsafe applications is the classification used for commercial, legitimate software. This classification includes programs such as remote access tools, password-cracking applications, and keyloggers (a program that records each keystroke a user types).

If you find that there is a potentially unsafe application present and running on your computer (and you did not install it), please consult your network administrator or remove the application.

Since these apps may be used in commercial network environments by design, Eset leaves the monitoring decision of their use up to the user at Eset installation time. 

Edited by itman

12 hours ago, itman said:

The best explanation comes from the Eset glossary:

Since these apps may be used in commercial network environments by design, Eset leaves the monitoring decision of their use up to the user at Eset installation time. 

Thank you very much

Dear Marcos and itman ,speacial thanks to you for helping me🥰 . I have additional questions 😟 I hope I'm not bothering you. 

I came across "running processes" and found that "kms-r@11n.exe" and "kms_r@1nhook " time discovery is 5 years and 2 years . there is nothing written in front of  (path, size,description, company,version). does having at least ONE empty info a malicious sign of an app?running.png.d2abd743cda4b4d58955e1f6463fea4d.png 

Then I went to ADVANCED SETUP, and ENABLED DETECTION  OF POTENTIALLY UNSAFE APPLICATIONS ,then ran a full scan .First I got this notification.

1482474501_running1.png.7ea72017786922637ea1a50f1b5bfc9c.png

After scan finished, this is the final scan tab. They are asking to "clean, delete, or no action". Should I chose clean or delete ?

THANK YOU AGAIN 

noti.thumb.png.b7d9144fcd64f637323b24303afc321e.png

1 hour ago, mimii said:

They are asking to "clean, delete, or no action". Should I chose clean or delete ?

First, just what is KMS-R@1n.exe?

KMS-R@1n.exe is a running process which is used to manipulate your KMS service every 180 days to make it believe that you are running the legitimate version of windows and not pirated one. I am assuming that you must have used ReLoader v1.4 to activate windows or Microsoft office package. So if you have used this activator to activate any of Microsoft product then its not a problem for you.

If you haven’t used any activators, then you must think about removing it. As this is an unwanted service running in background

Please note that this not a Trojan or any kind of Malware. Antivirus software flags it as Trojan because KMS-R@1n services try to manipulate system files, which in turn will be flagged as false positives. Once I have reverse engineered KMS-R@1n.exe and I did not find any suspicious connection attempt or communication from this file.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-KMS-R-1n-exe-Does-it-affect-my-computer?share=1

If you are using a "cracked"; i.e. illegal version, of the Windows OS or any other legit Microsoft software, removal of KMS components will cause all licenses associated with them to become invalid. If all your software licenses are legit paid ones from the software manufacturer, then there is no reason for KMS associated components to remain on your PC.

This situation is also a classic example of why Eset does not enable the potentially unwanted software option by default. Eset's stance to date is they are not the "software license police." The previous said, using of cracked software these days is a risky undertaking since the crack installers are increasing being used to push malware on installed devices.

Edited by itman