Windows Update Service

offbyone

Hi.

We noticed that ESET Antivirus is enabling "Windows Update" service on its own, although it has been disabled. All ESET policies related to Windows OS checks have been disabled.

Is there any way to prevent this?

THX.

• Administrators

With default ESET settings I changed the startup type of the wuauserv service to Disabled, rebooted the machine and it was still disabled. Does it actually make a difference if you temporarily uninstall ESET?

We have currently deployed about 10 machines from our new golden image for testing where WUS is disabled and ESET is currently not included. Those machines ran for about one week and WUS is still disabled.

We now have a test machine for ESET deployed from the same image and I saw that WUS start type was set to "manual". So I suspect it is coming from ESET but of course I cannot be sure.

Do you know if ESET client application is touching WUS start type at all?

Maybe I have to do some further investigation to track down that behaviour.

Thanks for your answer.

The web is full of articles about Win 10 Update service "mysteriously" setting itself back to its default manual - triggered setting.

Refer to this like article on methods to keep it permanently disabled: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-update-enables-even-turning-off/ .

Eset software itself could care less if Win Updating is enabled or not.

The web is full of articles about Win 10 Update service "mysteriously" setting itself back to its default manual - triggered setting.

That's absolutely correct, but we are running Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC, which is, from my observations till now, not affected by this.

We will further investigate this and see if we will find some kind of pattern and if it is related to ESET.