Not sure if I'm doing exclusion wildcards right

julio999

First off I am new to ESET Nod32 AV 2014 and after I installed I changed a few things in the settings but I'm not sure if I got them right. I looked around for a tutorial on after install configuring but could only find user guide which helps but it would be nice to have a step by step. Anyway on to my post. I excluded a couple of folders in the EXCLUSION section and because I wanted the whole folder excluded I added *.* to the end of the path and clicked OK. I did a smart scan and noticed the folder that I had excluded in the THREAT section. Did I do something wrong on the way I added the wildcard? I used the user guide setting and that is the way they said asterisk period asterisk *.* Is this right?

You can do it two ways signified by the period.

Left side will be your file name, right side will be your file extension.

If you have asterisks on both sides, it takes all folders and files in that directory.

C:\*.* = all files and folders at root

• Administrators

First of all, one shouldn't exclude any files unless inevitable as each exclusion lowers the overall protection and may expose your computer at risk. 

Please elaborate more on why you want to exclude certain files, maybe we could think of a safer way how to accomplish it.

You can do it two ways signified by the period.

Left side will be your file name, right side will be your file extension.

If you have asterisks on both sides, it takes all folders and files in that directory.

C:\*.* = all files and folders at root

I have had this file checked before and the report I got back from a reputable company was that it's considered a Hacktool. I think because maybe it's been modified? I'm not sure but I have ran it before and excluded it with other programs so I feel safe using it. When I set up the exclusion I set it up this way: C:\ program we are excluding*.*           Is this not correct?

First of all, one shouldn't exclude any files unless inevitable as each exclusion lowers the overall protection and may expose your computer at risk. 

Please elaborate more on why you want to exclude certain files, maybe we could think of a safer way how to accomplish it.

I appreciate your concern Marcos but I have had this file checked before by other reputable security suites and as it does come back as a modified program or hack tool or whatever each company wants to call it I have felt safe using it in the past. I have had it rechecked so many times I'm sure my laptop is not in any danger using it. I should have been clearer in saying I was new to ESET not the computer security world. I have ran about 50% of all the reputable AV's and security suites but I find so many of them gorged on unnecessary bloat. I wanted to try ESET as it seems to have a very light footprint although as I said earlier it's user CP seems a little advanced. It sure isn't a set and forget AV. Thanks for your reply.