Failed to synchronize package repository. See trace message for more details

When I try to update modules on computers across our network, I get these two messages:

***Failed to synchronize package repository. See trace message for more details.

***Package not found in repository

Our company covers 9 locations, each with it's own IP range, but they're all on the same domain.

The computers that are at the same location as the computer with the ESMC do not get the error, it's only devices at other locations.

Any tips on how to work around these errors?

• Administrators

Module updates are not downloaded from a repository but from update servers or mirror. Please clarify what exactly you mean by "trying to update modules". Do you create a software install task that you send to clients?

Sorry, maybe wrong words to use. What I'm trying to do is update all of my Eset Endpoint Antivirus applications on the computers across my network.

I've tried creating several different tasks to do this, and not sure if I'm missing something in the configuration of the task, but I keep getting the above errors.

The last way I tried to update them was by just looking under Application Version Status on the Dashboard. It showed over 70% are outdated so I clicked "Update installed ESET products..." and clicked through the prompts. It ran successfully on a few computers, but failed on probably 90% of them.

• ESET Staff
4 hours ago, jrenfro said:

Sorry, maybe wrong words to use. What I'm trying to do is update all of my Eset Endpoint Antivirus applications on the computers across my network.

I've tried creating several different tasks to do this, and not sure if I'm missing something in the configuration of the task, but I keep getting the above errors.

The last way I tried to update them was by just looking under Application Version Status on the Dashboard. It showed over 70% are outdated so I clicked "Update installed ESET products..." and clicked through the prompts. It ran successfully on a few computers, but failed on probably 90% of them.

Could you please specify which package exactly was chosen for update? Ther should be "Software installation task" created in respective section. It is possible that version chosen was removed from repository in the meantime (due to hotfix release) which would result in errors you mentioned.

1 hour ago, MartinK said:

Could you please specify which package exactly was chosen for update? Ther should be "Software installation task" created in respective section. It is possible that version chosen was removed from repository in the meantime (due to hotfix release) which would result in errors you mentioned.

This is the package it shows in the summary of the task:

ESET Endpoint Antivirus; version 7.3.2032.0 for windows (WINDOWS), language en_US

• ESET Staff
17 hours ago, jrenfro said:

This is the package it shows in the summary of the task:

ESET Endpoint Antivirus; version 7.3.2032.0 for windows (WINDOWS), language en_US

This package seems to be available in repository for now, so I am not sure where else could be problem? Any chance you are using some non-standard repository configuration on clients? Maybe offline repository is used or HTTP proxy? Error might indicate also communication problem from clients to repository servers...

1 hour ago, MartinK said:

This package seems to be available in repository for now, so I am not sure where else could be problem? Any chance you are using some non-standard repository configuration on clients? Maybe offline repository is used or HTTP proxy? Error might indicate also communication problem from clients to repository servers...

I didn't change any configuration, just ran the Task: Software Installation (ESET Endpoint Antivirus) - via context menu

This is the link it shows in that task:

I've logged on to some of those computers that the install failed on and verified that they could access that URL.

I don't understand why I get the errors if I'm not changing any of the default configuration and I can access that link from those computers.

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

Are you able to reproduce the issue if you create a brand new software install task?

Yes, I get the same error messages.

• Administrators

Do you have the repository set to autoselect in the ESMC server setup?

image.png

If so, I'd recommend opening a ticket with your local ESET support and providing trace.log from the ESMC server. However, first change the logging verbosity to "trace" and then reproduce the issue. Don't forget to change it back to "warning" then so that the disk doesn't fill with unnecessarily big logs.

image.png

On 6/27/2020 at 1:09 AM, Marcos said:

Do you have the repository set to autoselect in the ESMC server setup?

image.png

If so, I'd recommend opening a ticket with your local ESET support and providing trace.log from the ESMC server. However, first change the logging verbosity to "trace" and then reproduce the issue. Don't forget to change it back to "warning" then so that the disk doesn't fill with unnecessarily big logs.

image.png

The Repository server was already set to Autoselect. I will open a support case. Thanks for the help.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2020 at 9:46 AM, jrenfro said:

The Repository server was already set to Autoselect. I will open a support case. Thanks for the help.

Did you ever get this resolved? I am having the same problem.

37 minutes ago, SPearce said:

Did you ever get this resolved? I am having the same problem.

SPearce,

I opened a case and below is what they sent me. I did solution two in the article where I changed the repository from AUTOSELECT to hxxp://repositorynocdn.eset.com/v1 and then I rebooted the computer to restart the Management Console and was able to push updates successfully after that. Not sure if it was changing the repository or the restart, or both that fixed it.

Please follow the steps from the article in the link below. Note that whenever you make a change and save it, you must restart the ESET ESMC server service and wait a few minutes before trying again.
https://support.eset.com/en/kb6749-eset-security-management-center-repository-is-not-working-7x

• ESET Staff
8 hours ago, jrenfro said:

SPearce,

I opened a case and below is what they sent me. I did solution two in the article where I changed the repository from AUTOSELECT to hxxp://repositorynocdn.eset.com/v1 and then I rebooted the computer to restart the Management Console and was able to push updates successfully after that. Not sure if it was changing the repository or the restart, or both that fixed it.

Please follow the steps from the article in the link below. Note that whenever you make a change and save it, you must restart the ESET ESMC server service and wait a few minutes before trying again.
https://support.eset.com/en/kb6749-eset-security-management-center-repository-is-not-working-7x

Only difference between those "repositories" is actually that no-cdn variant will never use public CDN services for hosting files. This mostly helps in case firewall are blocking access, as CDN providers are mostly using variable IP addresses. CDN services are used in specific countries (APAC) to improve overall download performance, as no-CDN variant relies purely on ESET infrastructure, which might experience overload.