ESMC Server Migration and Licencing

Hi all,
(First post, be kind)

I'm looking at migrating our current ESMC to a new server, based off this documentation.

My question comes from the licencing of ESMC, can I setup a test instance and apply our current licence to it without affecting out current install?
Ideally it would be great if I could apply the licence and it only adds to the amount of 'units' used up.
There is no way I'd be able to do this migration without being to test it beforehand.

I've really struggled to find information about this, any help would be appreciated!
Cheers. 

• ESET Staff

Hi @Cameron. Yes, you can easily setup a new ESMC server, deploy couple of endpoints. If you activate those endpoints, they will add to the total of your license, meaning if you for example have 100 licenses, and 95 are used on the "current ESMC", then you have 5 seats to use on the new ESMC instance. 

• ESET Staff

Just be aware, that if testing instance will be created on top of your existing ESMC database (as described in migration scenario), your original and new ESMC instances will share synchronized licenses in a way that when you modify list of synchronized licenses in one instance, it will impact also original/production servers, so my recommendation is to deploy completely new testing ESMC instance, instead of re-using existing database.