NOD32 causes Tobii eye-tracking to have High CPU Usage

I have an Alienware laptop which has an Eye interaction device built in called Tobii. Today I was just browsing the web when I suddenly started hearing the fans spin up and they kept spinning at high speed so I thought something was fishy. I opened task manager and noticed a process called Tobii.EyeX.Engine.exe having constant 20% usage when normally it would just be 1.3 to 2% usage only.

I then Googled this and got a result from Reddit forums of other users having the same issue, they were not using NOD32, some were using BitDefender, others Kaspersky, etc.

So I added Tobii.EyeX.Engine.exe to the Performance Exclusions and rebooted. Now the CPU Usage is fine and Tobii is back to only using 1-2%

I don't know how to report this to ESET as it's not exactly a false positive since it's not detected as a virus or PUP or anything of that nature, perhaps ESET can whitelist that process or I dunno what they can do about this to solve this issue which may affect thousands of Alienware users and they might not even realise it.

Virus Total Report = https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/2ec7e4761a9e52773ced6a08195a599650438b441f409426ea8a5718dcfe804f/detection

File Location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Tobii\Tobii EyeXTobii.EyeX.Engine.exe

SHA1 = 22e1f041c3ed069b0369dd18958afbd0aa70c921

MD5 = c9f41b3e6bb6441371d4a8857498c73d

Edited by Super_Spartan

Do you have Eset Gamer mode enabled in Computer protection section?

Another possibility is Eset Webcam protection in the same section. Eset might be somehow treating this eye interaction device as a webcam.

7 hours ago, itman said:

Do you have Eset Gamer mode enabled in Computer protection section?

Another possibility is Eset Webcam protection in the same section. Eset might be somehow treating this eye interaction device as a webcam.

I don't have Gamer mode enabled. What does that do exactly? I was under the impression that it only mutes notifications so they won't come in my way during gaming.

You're right maybe ESET is thinking it's a webcam, but adding it to the performance exclusions fixed the issue.

Tobil has an article about excessive CPU use caused by AV scanners here: https://help.tobii.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004039965-High-CPU-usage .

Since the article is 3 years old, it is not a new issue. It appears the present Eset real-time performance exclusion might be be the best current mitigation until Eset can research the issue and find a fix. You might want to open a technical support request to Eset so the issue is documented.

I also noticed in the VirusTotal analysis that this is a .Net app and a lot of downloading occurs from it. Suspect the scanning of these downloads is why CPU acitvity spikes.

On 6/21/2020 at 10:19 AM, Marcos said:

Does the issue go away after temporarily disabling HIPS and rebooting the machine?

I didn't try that but as I mentioned, adding Tobbi to the performance exclusions fixed it.

@itman

I just submitted a technical ticket to ESET