ESETMC.exe

Bjw

New PC (Win10 Pro, v2004) and was prompted during 1st boot-up to start ESET Trial version, declined, then was was prompted if I wanted ESET removed, which I acknowledged yes.  The trail version deleted just fine but ESETMC still appears in start-up apps.  I downloaded the eset removal tool and it didnt find anything to remove.  How do you uninstall or otherwise delete this orphan ??  If left enabled it throws multiple windows warnings in the event log.

PS: I have an Eset license on my old PC that eventually will get transferred to this new one.

Thanks,

Bjw

• Administrators

Never seen ESETMC.exe. Maybe it's a custom installer, activator or whatever that some of our partners use. Please provide the exe for perusal.

• Most Valued Members

It's probably Installer made by Micro Center , this guy explains about ESETMC also :

https://community.microcenter.com/discussion/3704/new-b744-esetmc-exe-rapid-store-technology

Try to find it in Add or Remove programs , it should be some program like those programs that PC manufacturers add , if not then you can exclude it to start from Startup.

Uninstall tool won't find it because it doesn't look for it , because this installer doesn't belong to ESET , it's made by Micro Center.

Edited by Nightowl

If MicroCenter preinstalled Eset, I suspect what is installed on the device is an installer created by them. As previously posted, look for a reference to this in Win Control Panel -> Programs -> Uninstall a program section. If a reference to "Eset trail version" exists, then uninstall it.

Otherwise, you're best source for a solution to the repeated popups about the Eset trial version at boot time is to contact MicroCenter technical support for assistance on the issue.

4 hours ago, Nightowl said:

It's probably Installer made by Micro Center , this guy explains about ESETMC also :

HA !!  Well, "That Guy" is me !  This is a PowerSpec and silly me I should have put 2 and 2  together, ESET + MC (MicroCenter) = ESETMC.  A custom installer and exactly right as to why ESET's removal tool couldn't find anything to remove.  Even tried a general removal tool suggested by the MicroCenter tech (odd they don't even know their own stuff) and it couldn't find it either.

Appreciate all the replies !!

Attached the exe for anyone curious.... 

ESETMC.zip

Edited by Bjw

• Most Valued Members
8 minutes ago, Bjw said:

HA !!  Well, "That Guy" is me !  This is a PowerSpec and silly me I should have put 2 and 2  together, ESET + MC (MicroCenter) = ESETMC.  A custom installer and exactly right as to why ESET's removal tool couldn't find anything to remove.  Even tried a general removal tool suggested by the MicroCenter tech (odd they don't even know their own stuff) and it couldn't find it either.

Appreciate all the replies !!

Attached the exe for anyone curious.... 

ESETMC.zipUnavailable

That's a coincidence ;) , I am glad that you sorted it out.

It shouldn't be something that is so heavy to remove , exclude it from Startup as beginning and then see it's EXE path and see if there is an uninstall exe over there.

Edited by Nightowl

36 minutes ago, Nightowl said:

then see it's EXE path and see if there is an uninstall exe over there.

I was also going to suggest this.

Look in Program Files folder for a sub-folder related to this. Might be named ESETMC. With luck, there should be an uninstaller for this located there.

It is also possible MicroCenter created a C:\ root directory folder for this. Check there also.

Finally, check this directory, C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup, for any entry related to ESETMC.

Edited by itman

Thanks you guys !!  There is under Program Files an ESTMC folder with an exe and ini file but no uninstaller.  I did find the startup shortcut at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup, which has the shortcut to ESETMC.exe and a desktop.ini file.  So think this is why it appears in the start menu, I should be able to delete the contents of this folder, maybe re-enabling it in startup apps before doing so.  I couldn't find any other remnants anywhere else. 

Thanks again to you guys !!  Its nice when a hack like me can get real help.  I'm not as PC savvy as I once was years ago and just trying to get a new PC to function without any issues......which isn't going well yet.  Next heading off to the Asus website to get help with an Intel Rapid Store Technology driver re-install that appears way more complicated than it should be.

Bjw 

57 minutes ago, Bjw said:

I did find the startup shortcut at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup, which has the shortcut to ESETMC.exe and a desktop.ini file. 

Do not delete the desktop.ini file! That file should have only been visible if you enable displaying of OS files in Win Explorer View settings. Also if this View setting is enabled, make sure you disable it.

Deleting the ESETMC.exe shortcut file should prevent ESETMC.exe from running at system start up time. This in turn should eliminate the Eset Trial popup from appearing.

When you get around to installing Eset  on this device and activating it using your existing Eset license, you should have no further issues. No guaranties however ....................

Edited by itman

Yes, was leaving the ini.  Didn't mean to imply I would delete that. 

Ok on "no guaranties".......I believe ESET will be fine as well.

Thanks !! 

• Most Valued Members
15 hours ago, Bjw said:

Yes, was leaving the ini.  Didn't mean to imply I would delete that. 

Ok on "no guaranties".......I believe ESET will be fine as well.

Thanks !! 

This program can help you see things that run at Startup , by clicking the Logon tab you can see all things that run at Startup/Logon

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns