Stop telling me to renew my license!

SONB

Since 2-3 weeks I'm getting these annoying notifications telling me that my license ends in X days. The orange warn sign, the notification pop-up in the task bar, the ERROR notification window on EVERY single PC start?! Really ESET?

I KNOW IT! And even if I forget it, remind me 24-48 hours before license end. You see the difference between annoying and reminding?

And, please, don't display the warn sign in the task bar. It feels like I'm running a trial version or something in the last weeks. Just let me enjoy your product as I bought it.

Thanks.

Hello,

Yes some do find it annoying.

It has been suggested before that there should be a "do not remind me again" button or something like that. But then ESET cannot be blamed if the users uses that option and then forgets to renew (because he did not see the warning anymore) and wonders why the product hasn't been updated for over a month. But I fully understand that some users do find it annoying.

Edited by SweX

• Most Valued Members

if eset implements that option and you click "don't remind" after the expiration you could get infected and then you and everyone else will blame eset for not protecting your pc's.
so, renew the license or remove it and install another free product. ;)

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

Can you tell us which ESET product and version you are using?  License expiry notification behavior can vary based on these.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• 2 weeks later...

Since 2-3 weeks I'm getting these annoying notifications telling me that my license ends in X days. The orange warn sign, the notification pop-up in the task bar, the ERROR notification window on EVERY single PC start?! Really ESET?

I KNOW IT! And even if I forget it, remind me 24-48 hours before license end. You see the difference between annoying and reminding?

And, please, don't display the warn sign in the task bar. It feels like I'm running a trial version or something in the last weeks. Just let me enjoy your product as I bought it.

Thanks.

I agree 100% :(

• 8 months later...

You think thats bad. I like Eset software. its unobtrusive, powerful and doesnt install tons of i never asked for and cant get rid of (rhymes with Sh*t agender) so i renewed my licence (Nod32 Antivirus) yet i'm still getting tthis fecking annoying notice. So i'm you're screwed if you do and screwed if you dont....

If you have renewed your license and entered the new username and password into the eset product you should not see the license warning. Open the main eset window, press ctrl+u and enter the new license username and password. You need admin rights, otherwise the new info would not apply. You can also check if the details changed in advanced settings window. On main screen press F5, navigate to update. Restarting the pc could help too.

Could you also provide exact product version? Like Mr. Goretsky said "License expiry notification behavior can vary based on these.".

• 1 month later...

I chose to uninstall Eset Nod32 antivirus. Those reminder where popping up at unconvenient times and kept nagging me.

It was all to unbearable.

I'll be now less protected, I'm aware of that (but I'll be protected ito some extent) I liked the way eset worked for me, I just don't like being bullied.

• Most Valued Members

I chose to uninstall Eset Nod32 antivirus. Those reminder where popping up at unconvenient times and kept nagging me.

I'll be now less protected, I'm aware of that (but I'll be protected ito some extent) I liked the way eset worked for me, I just don't like being bullied.

the you should renew your license so you don't get annoyed by the message

Uninstalling ESET just because of such a small notification? Just renewing is the best solution for your problem. And as you can do this (usually*) also some time before the license "times out" (without loosing the remaining days of course), you may be able to renew it some days before it expires so you won't see this notification at all (or at least only one time).

Additionally I think ESET is already quite reserved with this notifications - other AVs have other ways to "notify" the user of this.

* in may depend on the country where you bought the license

How often did you see the message exactly ?

@Swex

Every two hours approx. I hate that!

As explained, I don't like the feeling that renewing is mandatory, out of my control, being deprived of freedom in that decision. 

The main issue was that the popup is a modal popup which disturbs my work each time.

I've always considered that antivirus should not nag the users at all (or when they do, they share the behaviour of some malwares/viruses!)

I've formerly used F-Prot, until it failed to stop some threat. They I went to Eset NOD, which I find good. Just marketing as often.

That's why I decided to stick with the (limited?) windows embeded protection for some time now...

BTW you can also disable the notifications completely... (or at least let them display as the "normal" Tooltip)

Or change it so that it's 90% transparent. Or change it that it disappears after 2 seconds.

You can also change the state (info, warning, error etc.) for what notifications are displayed. However I don't know to which state the renewing notification belongs to.

Edited by rugk

@Swex

Every two hours approx. I hate that!

When it's time for me to renew I only see the "x amount of days left" notification at boot ONE time, nothing after that. :unsure:  Not sure why you see it that often. And I can agree that the notification is displayed too often in your case, it would be interesting to find out why the interval differs so much though.

oldb (if you're still reading this) I am curious, just how much time was left on your license?

And for what it's worth, uninstalling for that reason is just plain silly.

Edited by TomFace

• 4 months later...

This exact issue is making me consider choosing something other than ESET. It is ridiculous to get a F-ing pop up in the middle of your screen periodically and warnings every startup. I know I didnt renew it yet, and I might just not renew it at all then. 

• 1 year later...

This issue has just started on my machine. Every start up, I get a message saying I have 5 days left to renew. Every time it's 5 days. I have a valid subscription for 18 months because I just renewed it, and the problem appeared when I renewed.

• 3 weeks later...

This thing bugs us every year for the last 9 years. Annoying license expiry messages every day for two weeks before the expiry and on all of our (35+) computers

Now we are again in this beatiful period of the year again and I have already received 3 calls regarding this from our users and I am sure they will not be the only one.

We already ordered reneval of the licenses but we do not receive the new ones until we pay them and the payment date is stated on the day of expiry, so we will now rather pay before that, just to get rid of these notifications.

However they have seem to include now a new option to disable this notifications under Advances Options / User Interface /  [ ]Show license messages and notifications. So for the next time I will just push policy to disable this messages.

• 2 weeks later...