Manual upgrade of ESMC 7.1 to 7.2 failed

I attempted to upgrade our ESMC 7.1 server to 7.2 by downloading the installer, running it on the server and choosing "Upgrade All Components". It upgraded SQL Express OK, then it took quite a while on the next step and then failed with a 1603 and 1708 error. Prior tests of this process on a snaphshot copy of our server worked flawlessly.

Any help is appreciated.

• ESET Staff

Could you please provide installation / msiexec logs if available? If I recall correctly, they should be related in subdirectory of all-in-one installer files. In case previous attempts worked, it might have been some random issue, for example it might have happened that ESMC service was not able to stop in time due to load or current execution status.

Also it failed during ESMC upgrade or different component (AGENT, console) failed?

It failed a the ESMC upgrade. I tried to send you a PM with the logs attached, but it said you can't receive messages. How do I securely upload logs to you?

I reviewed the logs myself and found these entries:

Error 1921. Service 'ESET Security Management Center Server' (EraServerSvc) could not be stopped. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to stop system services.

Info 1920. Service 'ESET Security Management Center Server' (EraServerSvc) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

I do have sufficient privileges. Should I manually stop the service before I attempt the upgrade?

Edited by Campbell IT

• ESET Staff

Yes, manually stopping should help. Any chance you are executing some ESMC task in regular intervals? For example long running AD synchronization tasks might interrupt or block shutdown sequence. 

3 minutes ago, MartinK said:

Yes, manually stopping should help. Any chance you are executing some ESMC task in regular intervals? For example long running AD synchronization tasks might interrupt or block shutdown sequence. 

The clients are checking in every 5 minutes. AD synchronization only occurs once a day.

• ESET Staff
1 minute ago, Campbell IT said:

The clients are checking in every 5 minutes. AD synchronization only occurs once a day.

Strange. If you are interested of what is the reason for slow shutdown, I can possible check trace.log from ESMC Server from time when service shutdown was attempted. We are mostlyk seeing this to happen when task are executed or in case ESMC is under higher load, in terms of network connections and received data.

13 minutes ago, MartinK said:

Strange. If you are interested of what is the reason for slow shutdown, I can possible check trace.log from ESMC Server from time when service shutdown was attempted. We are mostlyk seeing this to happen when task are executed or in case ESMC is under higher load, in terms of network connections and received data.

How do I send the log to you? It has hostname and IP address info in it, which I do not want to make public.

• ESET Staff
2 hours ago, Campbell IT said:

How do I send the log to you? It has hostname and IP address info in it, which I do not want to make public.

It should be possible to send me a PM with attached logs.

24 minutes ago, MartinK said:

It should be possible to send me a PM with attached logs.

I got a message that I could not send a PM to you. It doesn't matter, though. I was successful with my upgrade after I stopped the EraServerSvc service. Now I get to re-learn how to deploy the Agent.