DNS queries to ESET repository

Hello,

Not a technical issue but more of a question. I have noticed that our ESET Security Management Server queries the ESET repository a LOT! It’s doing more DNS queries than any other device on the network. These are just A and AAA lookups.

I am using the virtual appliance (running CentOS)

If anyone can shed any light on why there are so many queries I would be interested to know.

Thanks,

Shane

Ese't Web access protection does limited DNS validation processing; i.e.

3 hours ago, ShaneGillwald said:

These are just A and AAA lookups.

51 minutes ago, itman said:

Ese't Web access protection does limited DNS validation processing; i.e.

Thanks for your reply, the DNS queries are coming from the ESET Security Management Center not from the devices with ESET installed.

I have attached a log which shows one page of the requests.

DNS Lookup.png

• ESET Staff

Hi

Are these DNS Queries seen over a long period of time? From the screen shot above these are all in space of the same minute. The ERA or ESMC will query ESET repository to check for new versions or Applications we may publish. 

Baring in mind that each ‘query’ could be a new sub folder of the repository.  Can you confirm which version of ERA or ESMC you are currently running? 

regards, 

Hi Tom,

It appears to query the repository every six seconds. There are thousands of these (attached text file showing more)

We are using ESMC version 7.1.503.0 - it's not causing any issues but i would like to understand why it's doing it.

Regards.

ESMC About Info.png

DNS-queries.txt