Windows 10 Update Errors with ESET

Over the last couple of days I was trying to update my system via windows update and kept getting this error message,  There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x80245006). This error message seemed to be related to corrupt win 10 update files. However after hours of trying, I found that if both real time system protection and HIPS were disabled in ESET along with the ESET Service running in Win 10  are disabled on restart I found that Windows Update works ok. I am currently running Internet Security Version 13.1.21.1.0. Is there an issue with the latest ESET update as during my efforts to sort this out I removed all firwall rules and settings that I had configured and as soon as ESET is enabled the same Windows update errors re-occur? Has anyone else had issues like this?

Win 10 Home Ver 1909 OS 18363.900                ESET Internet Security V13.1.21.1.0

• Administrators

Are you able to reproduce the issue with default settings, ie. without any custom firewall or HIPS rules?

I have numerous backups of Windows 10 and the reload in question was a backup made Jan 2020 just after the Windows updates that month. As for Eset I am not confident of creating my own custom rules instead the ESET firewall is set to Interactive mode. During attempts to resolve the issue I removed all rules created and as for HIPS all options are checked and it is running in smart mode. I have also reset HIPS to default...the result There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x80245006) I have the log collector files

Edited by davidwh

• Administrators

Since HIPS may block some operations if the user cannot respond to a prompt while the update is being installed, I'd recommend using automatic HIPS mode for a test. Ideally test the update with default ESET settings.

Personally I've never encountered any issues when updating Windows 10 and haven't heard about any such reports from users either.

same error occured after last ESET update, I've disabled "https scanner" in web protocol advanced menù to solve the issue

Win 10 Pro Ver 1909 OS           

ESET Internet Security V13.1.21.1.0

Edited by Beppe75

• Administrators

If you are able to reproduce the issue, please enable advanced logging under Help and support -> Details for technical support. The run Windows update and wait until it fails with the error.

Next disable advanced logging and collect logs with ESET Log Collector. Then disable SSL filtering, enable advanced logging and run Windows update. When updates starts installing, disable advanced logging and create another set of ELC logs.

Finally please provide me with the two sets of ELC logs for perusal.

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

If you are able to reproduce the issue, please enable advanced logging under Help and support -> Details for technical support. The run Windows update and wait until it fails with the error.

Next disable advanced logging and collect logs with ESET Log Collector. Then disable SSL filtering, enable advanced logging and run Windows update. When updates starts installing, disable advanced logging and create another set of ESET Log Collector logs.

Finally please provide me with the two sets of ESET Log Collector logs for perusal.

I try, as soon as I reactivate "https scanner" the error occurs both in the check of windows updates and in the installation of apps from the microsoft store

10 hours ago, Beppe75 said:

same error occured after last ESET update, I've disabled "https scanner" in web protocol advanced menù to solve the issue

Win 10 Pro Ver 1909 OS           

10 hours ago, Beppe75 said:

Win 10 Pro Ver 1909 OS           

I had this exact problem and also disabled https scanner and my windows updates began working again.  I'm using Win 10 Pro 2004 update

On 6/11/2020 at 8:55 AM, Marcos said:

Next disable advanced logging and collect logs with ESET Log Collector. Then disable SSL filtering, enable advanced logging and run Windows update. When updates starts installing, disable advanced logging and create another set of ESET Log Collector logs.

Finally please provide me with the two sets of ESET Log Collector logs for perusal.

I found the solution: I reactivated "https scanner" and in the SSL filtering rules I set the service "svchost.exe" on automatically (before it was on control), problem solved both with windows update and with the Microsoft app store

Edited by Beppe75

6 hours ago, Beppe75 said:

I found the solution: I reactivated "https scanner" and in the SSL filtering rules I set the service "svchost.exe" on automatically (before it was on control), problem solved both with windows update and with the Microsoft app store

The default setting for the Win Update service in Win 10 1909 and I assume 2004, is manual(triggered). In other words, the OS starts the service as needed and then terminates when Win Updating completes. The service is set this way on my Win 10 1909 build and I have had no issues with Win Updating with EIS 13.1.21 installed.

My opinion is for anyone having issues with Win Updates, the issue is not with Eset SSL/TLS protocol scanning but rather with the Win Update feature itself. Win Updating on all OS versions is notoriously buggy and frequently becomes corrupted for various reasons.

Edited by itman

On 6/13/2020 at 3:38 PM, itman said:

The default setting for the Win Update service in Win 10 1909 and I assume 2004, is manual(triggered). In other words, the OS starts the service as needed and then terminates when Win Updating completes. The service is set this way on my Win 10 1909 build and I have had no issues with Win Updating with EIS 13.1.21 installed.

My opinion is for anyone having issues with Win Updates, the issue is not with Eset SSL/TLS protocol scanning but rather with the Win Update feature itself. Win Updating on all OS versions is notoriously buggy and frequently becomes corrupted for various reasons.

as I have already written the problem is related to SSL filtering of the "svchost" service, I have also replicated the problem on Windows 10 pro ver 1903 after updating ESET IS to version 13.1.21, windows update and the store have stopped working

I wrote the solution

Edited by Beppe75