Latest Malware Protection tests on AV Comparatives

So, i went to check the latest ESET tests on AV Comparatives, especially on Malware, which was an area in which, allegedly, it lacked and it did pretty well. I wonder why this never gets noticed when it happens.

https://www.av-comparatives.org/tests/malware-protection-test-march-2020/

Annotation 2020-06-03 091639.png

• Most Valued Members
6 hours ago, PassingBy said:

So, i went to check the latest ESET tests on AV Comparatives, especially on Malware, which was an area in which, allegedly, it lacked and it did pretty well. I wonder why this never gets noticed when it happens.

https://www.av-comparatives.org/tests/malware-protection-test-march-2020/

Annotation 2020-06-03 091639.png

The thing is people tend to only see the bad stuff or at least the stuff that looks bad

1 hour ago, peteyt said:

The thing is people tend to only see the bad stuff or at least the stuff that looks bad

That is true, however what I can see is  Bitdefender , Kaspersky even Microsoft  which offer free antivirus , did it quite well 99.9%.

• Most Valued Members
3 hours ago, local said:

That is true, however what I can see is  Bitdefender , Kaspersky even Microsoft  which offer free antivirus , did it quite well 99.9%.

For BitDefender and Kaspersky was this the free one on the results? Also they have a lot more false positives?

13 minutes ago, peteyt said:

For BitDefender and Kaspersky was this the free one on the results?

This should be stated in the AV-Test report details. Assume they are the paid versions since AV-Test lab tests are not free. They have however in the past performed a test comparative for free AV solutions but the report title clearly indicates this is the case.

• Most Valued Members

For me that's excellent for most of them .. so it depends only on your taste and opinion and experience with the software itself , I tend to like ESET more because it's been several years with it and I just don't want to move on to another product , even though I would like to try Kaspersky for a bit , but I still stay with ESET due to several years of using it and it's light.

• Most Valued Members
2 hours ago, itman said:

This should be stated in the AV-Test report details. Assume they are the paid versions since AV-Test lab tests are not free. They have however in the past performed a test comparative for free AV solutions but the report title clearly indicates this is the case.

I don't really know a lot about the free versions but is it the same engine as paid or will the paid version find more etc. I know some free versions don't have real-time protection but not sure if there's anything missing from the actual scanner

2 hours ago, Nightowl said:

For me that's excellent for most of them .. so it depends only on your taste and opinion and experience with the software itself , I tend to like ESET more because it's been several years with it and I just don't want to move on to another product , even though I would like to try Kaspersky for a bit , but I still stay with ESET due to several years of using it and it's light.

Exactly.

The tests can help you decide what to buy but it all comes down to personal opinion. I know people move around depending on test results but for me I've had no issues with Eset so there is no point in moving.

As I've said before a few times I've had issues with other AVs in the past including BitDefender. It's probably a lot better now as it was quite a few years ago but it put me off. It's the same with Norton. I know a lot of people who hated Norton and would never use it again but it probably has became a lot better but to them it has a bad reputation now

Here is some of my history of changes as far is AV.

I have been with avast for roughly 2 decades, loved v4 then anything after that, especially started from v6 was a truly hog and whey to many false alarms...hit and miss, on top of that, even in paid version which that's all I have used adverts on adverts, trying to sell you their crapware.

I have tried Kaspersky and it’s decent, but even with system like mine which is no picnic, powerful you can tell the sluggishness and slowdowns...I didn't like it.

So I have tried ESET Security and its breath of fresh air. Super light on your system, excellent combination of low false positive yet, high detection rate and so customizable, so  as long is ESET stays light and not going to pull stunts like avast and will try to impose on you their software I don’t see myself ever moving away to anything else.

Edited by URBAN0

4 hours ago, peteyt said:

I don't really know a lot about the free versions but is it the same engine as paid or will the paid version find more etc.

My understand is as far as Kaspersky goes, most of the functionality of the paid version exists; including its highly rated System Watcher behavior monitoring feature. The difference between the free and paid is select options in a given feature are missing in the free versions. Additionally in Kaspersky free, many of the existing feature options can not be modified; e.g. disabled.

Also both BitDefender and Kaspersky's free versions are anti-virus only solutions; i.e. the firewall, IDS, and possibly web filtering capability are missing.

Edited by itman

7 hours ago, peteyt said:

For BitDefender and Kaspersky was this the free one on the results? Also they have a lot more false positives?

Only Avast, AVG and Windows Defender are the free products tested there. Everything else is paid. At the start of the article all the the product name and version is listed.

And the details of the false posities can be found here. Most of the false positives by the AVs doesn't seems to be too serious. Most of the programs there are not very popular to be an issue for most people. 

https://www.av-comparatives.org/tests/false-alarm-test-march-2020/