Firewall blocking office updates

• ESET Insiders

Hey Guys,

Why the heck is eset blocking microsoft office updates?  How I know its the firewall because I just got it to allow all traffic and it allowed the update, sometimes its let through other times it's not, so why is this happening?

Something else "goofy" is going on. I have Home and Student 2019 installed.

I opened up Word and forced an update. Sat there forever saying it was downloading updates. I then paused the Eset firewall and nothing changed. I then re-enabled the firewall and attempted to close Word. I then got an Office popup saying I had to close Word for updating to continue. Err - what? So I replied to that close request and status changed to "Applying Updates." That finished stating update was successful.

• ESET Insiders

Hey itman,

How are you dude?

Even more goofy I don't have 2019 I have 365 with 5 license's to help friends and family and my self.

0.png

• Most Valued Members

There is something goofy alright but i don't believe ESET is the culprit.

Reasons

Up until around Oct/Nov 2019 (At a Guess) , i always received office updates as part of the normal windows patch Tuesday round up, but have never noticed them as part of that since then.

My firewall is in interactive mode and i quite frequently receive a notification (maybe 2 times a month) to allow the annoying office 2019 processes [officeclicktorun.exe & officec2rclient.exe] to have firewall access. It seems these update processes are actually being updated but they fail to download certain files that they are supposed to.

By this i mean ..... All of the office suite got new icon styles around 2 months ago and mine updated without any manual intervention and without going to windows update and only allowing the new (officeclicktorun.exe) firewall access.

But .... When i go to office updates manually it will download the larger updates (builds) and apply them without any alert from the firewall whatsoever ... So it's not being blocked. Plus these updates again are not showing in windows update ........ Although i have "the receive updates for other Microsoft products when you update windows" option allowed within windows update.

Are these newer builds just extended dictionaries or similar non critical updates that office is instructed NOT to download without going the manual update route. Either that or the functionality within windows to update office from windows update is broken.

• ESET Insiders

Typical, I come here for help, and all you lot do is accuse me of lying even though I have said what I done to be able to get the update.  So tired of this.  When my license is over I might change to a different company.  Ya'll be doing this since I used to be on the beta. 

• Most Valued Members

@BeanSlappersNobody accused you of lying ??. You started a thread on the forum that both myself and @itman confirmed WAS happening and i gave a few reasons why i do not believe that ESET are the culprit behind this particular issue.

officeupdate.thumb.jpg.3ebca8ff39d6db8a94950b4d6ecf4b91.jpg

• Most Valued Members

This key is missing in my registry and possibly missing in other peoples having the same issue. Safe to assume that's the culprit and not your firewall as implied.

Microsoft 365 Apps for enterprise, Office 2019, and Office 2016

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\policies\microsoft\office\16.0\common\OfficeUpdate

No real problem here as using manual update works perfectly, but if you wish to rectify the problem the detailed guide is here.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/troubleshoot/updates/automatic-updates

• ESET Insiders

Hey,

This is what is in my regedit and its happens with manual updating too:  This windows etc are all fresh installs, installed from scratch, still had to turn off the firewall to allow the update with office.  So yes it was cause of eset, because it didn't work when the firewall was on, so did a bit of troubleshooting, I turned off the protections first, that didn't work turned them back on and turn off the firewall, and it went through. 

I don't come here much unless I have already tested it on my end and by my end I mean done all the troubleshooting I can think of, and that is including the regedit etc, or I am totally suck with something, so for someone to be implying that they don't believe that its the firewall, tell me that they think that when it works on their system it will work on everyone else's, that is not always the case.  I started doing this more since the beta stuff that I no longer do.  So no I don't appreciate being made out that I am lying, and it was the implication of coming across that I was lying when I am not.

I have been through this enough times with even when I used to beta test, point out an issue, oh its working on my end, so it would be working on your end etc etc etc like feck man,  whats the point bringing up here if that is all I am going to get or treated like I am completely stupid?  So far the only forum that doesn't do that to me is one of the tech forums that I am on.

Any way here is my registry setting, something that I had already done previously but didn't help.  Just trying to make light of the problem thats all, but so damn tired of these treatment every time I bring up an issue:

image.thumb.png.7d5ce34905f32232520c715e5b9f24ad.png

• ESET Insiders

I have removed eset off my computer and gone back too kaspersky, and the free version.

Letting the others that are currently on my licence at home finish up the license till August, then I prob won't be renewing it.

Have a good night everyone.

Peace and love to all.

• Administrators

The firewall should not block updates at all since automatic mode allows all outbound communication and blocks all non-initiated communication. In case of updates the communication is initiated from clients; it's not Microsoft servers that would "push" updates to clients proactively.

8 hours ago, cyberhash said:

This key is missing in my registry and possibly missing in other peoples having the same issue. Safe to assume that's the culprit and not your firewall as implied.

Microsoft 365 Apps for enterprise, Office 2019, and Office 2016

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\policies\microsoft\office\16.0\common\OfficeUpdate

No real problem here as using manual update works perfectly, but if you wish to rectify the problem the detailed guide is here.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/troubleshoot/updates/automatic-updates

Note that the above only;

Applies to:

Office 365 Professional Plus, Office Standard 2019, Office Professional Plus 2016, Office Standard 2016, Office Home and Business 2013, Office Home and Student 2013, Office Professional 2013, Office Professional Plus 2013, Office Standard 2013

Office 365 - non-Pro. and current Office Home and Student versions are Win Store apps. As such, they are updated via Win Store update processing and do not show in the update status of the Win Updates section.

On my Win 10 x(64) 1909 build, my Office Home and Student 2019 registry update settings exist in this reg. key;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\Updates

• Most Valued Members
21 minutes ago, itman said:

Note that the above only;

Office 365 - non-Pro. and current Office Home and Student versions are Win Store apps. As such, they are updated via Win Store update processing and do not show in the update status of the Win Updates section.

On my Win 10 x(64) 1909 build, my Office Home and Student 2019 registry update settings exist in this reg. key;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\Updates

I have office Pro Plus 2019 and my keys are in exactly the same place as yours. Like i mentioned above its partially updating office and leaving the bigger updates to be invoked manually. Maybe only critical updates are being pushed ?

9 minutes ago, cyberhash said:

I have office Pro Plus 2019 and my keys are in exactly the same place as yours. Like i mentioned above its partially updating office and leaving the bigger updates to be invoked manually. Maybe only critical updates are being pushed ?

First, note the following:

Symptoms

By default, installations of Microsoft Office are configured to automatically update your Office installation when new updates are made publicly available. However, if you examine the Account section of the backstage, you may see that updates are disabled or that the command to manage updates is disabled or hidden. For example, the following figure indicates that updates are disabled in the backstage.

In my Office Home and Student 2019, the setting was set to automatic updating and the above referenced setting was not hidden.

I will say this. Prior to the May Win 10 updates, my Office apps were updating OK; although somewhat chaotically. Therefore, the issue might lie in a borked Win 10 update.

• Most Valued Members
14 hours ago, BeanSlappers said:

Hey,

This is what is in my regedit and its happens with manual updating too:  This windows etc are all fresh installs, installed from scratch, still had to turn off the firewall to allow the update with office.  So yes it was cause of eset, because it didn't work when the firewall was on, so did a bit of troubleshooting, I turned off the protections first, that didn't work turned them back on and turn off the firewall, and it went through. 

I don't come here much unless I have already tested it on my end and by my end I mean done all the troubleshooting I can think of, and that is including the regedit etc, or I am totally suck with something, so for someone to be implying that they don't believe that its the firewall, tell me that they think that when it works on their system it will work on everyone else's, that is not always the case.  I started doing this more since the beta stuff that I no longer do.  So no I don't appreciate being made out that I am lying, and it was the implication of coming across that I was lying when I am not.

I have been through this enough times with even when I used to beta test, point out an issue, oh its working on my end, so it would be working on your end etc etc etc like feck man,  whats the point bringing up here if that is all I am going to get or treated like I am completely stupid?  So far the only forum that doesn't do that to me is one of the tech forums that I am on.

Any way here is my registry setting, something that I had already done previously but didn't help.  Just trying to make light of the problem thats all, but so damn tired of these treatment every time I bring up an issue:

image.thumb.png.7d5ce34905f32232520c715e5b9f24ad.png

As other people have mentioned no one has accused you of lying, simply stating what they have noted and what they think, sharing an opinion. e.g. if I had had an issue with microsoft and it seemed to be related to your issue, i'd maybe share that. That is not me saying that you are wrong or lying, but sharing something that might be the cause and might help. All the people on here simply are trying to help, but remember most of them are just users like yourself, they aren't paid or anything but just want to help and yes it can be annoying if other people haven't had the issue so it seems like it might not be eset, but no one is trying to accuse anyone or make it personal

I really don't know what the "uproar" is about. Microsoft just released the June Office updates yesterday: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-fixes-outlook-crashes-in-june-office-2020-updates/ . On my device, it's not unusual for Microsoft updates to take a day or two to show up. For example, I didn't receive May updates till May 10.

Now for what I have observed in regards to Office MS Store updates. It appears the update downloads and is still there in limbo. This manifests by a child appvnotify.exe or something like that running. Also when I check the parent OfficeClickToRun.exe process via Eset Reputation scanner, it shows in gray color - unknown. If I force a reboot of Win 10, the child process disappears and OfficeClickToRun.exe now shows in green with reputation rating. 

The above leads me to believe that the Store based Office updating process is possibly waiting on something that is "locked" and it can't access. Whether Eset is the reason for this lock remains to be determined.

Archived