ESET preventing Windows 10 to Update?!

Hi,

when you read this, please know that at this point I am desperate for a long time. In 2017 I've got a Lenovo X1-Carbon 5th gen Notebook...

In terms of hardware I am pretty pleased with this machine, but it was never able to install ANY Windows update EVER released. Yes, I am running Win10 in Version 1703! Every few months I get annoyed so much by this machine begging me to update that I try again to complete this herculean task. Mostly the Update "1809" - four numbers bringing sweat to my forehead.

I've tried everything. deleted folders, installed apps, replacement installation - dozens of youtube videos, lost count of failed installation tries... you name it. Every try failed with Error "0x80070002". My last wasted hours of research ended with a partial success. I entered Win10 in safe mode and deleted the "SoftwareDistribution" Folder. After this the update did not bring this error, instead the update "1809" was not rejected, but is listed as "needs reboot to finish installation" in the update history. But sadly, a reboot does nothing.

But with this I continued research and suddenly several sources hint that my Security Solution (ESET 6.5.2107.1) is actively blocking Windows updates?! Is that a thing? That would seem counter-productive as a security platform should be interested in keeping the os up to date (i think?!)...

• Administrators

First of all, Endpoint 6.5 is too old for installation on Windows 10. Uninstall it, try to upgrade Windows 10 to rule out that ESET is causing the issue and then install the latest version 7.3 from scratch.

Hi, as obvious - I am no Expert on this topic... But it seems like any other piece of software i've installed is capable of upgrading itself to the current version. Also, the software itself has an update button that told me everything is current and NEVER indicated there is an issue with the installation. Do I need to wipe ESET every time something is wrong with my Win10 installation because it might not be up-to-date?!

And most importantly - how do I extract the license from the installation so I can use for a fresh install?

• Administrators

We did not say that ESET is the reason why upgrade of Windows 10 is failing. Most likely it's not, however by temporarily uninstalling you will definitely rule it out as the culprit.

As for program updates, so-called uPCU updates are supported as of Endpoint v7, however, we do not provide them yet but there are plans to have them this year. Program update will be controlled via a setting in the advanced update setup and probably won't be automatic by default in a managed environment. Currently it's necessary to install the latest version manually or centrally via ESMC.

It's important to keep the product up to date not only because of new protection features and fixes of bugs but also due to Windows requirements that change with newer OS updates. For instance, a major update of Windows 10 21H1 that will be released next year will require Endpoint 7.3 or newer.