upgrade to 7.3.2032 - computer gets shut down after scheduled scan

Jenova

14 hours ago, ShaneDT said:

Campbell IT I don't know that you're understanding what your problem is. If your computers are upgraded to 7.3, they are not shutting down due to upgrading, they are shutting down due to a bug in this version that triggers a shut down after a scheduled scan. You need to go into your policy settings and turn off the scheduled scans.

And as far as I'm aware the 'Program Update' policy does not and has never worked? I've never been able to get any of my endpoints to automatically update the EES software. Always have to deploy it manually from the server.

Well, I have 3 machines that until late last week, were on 7.2.2055 that are now on 7.3.2032. One of these machines is my workstation. All 3 of them had ZERO shutdowns after our weekly scan until yesterday when I was sitting in front my computer and watched it with my own two eyes as a prompt came up telling me it was going to shut down after the scan. I was able to cancel it, but the other two machines shut down as I was testing to see what would happen and I did not intervene.

I get that there is a bug in 7.3.2032.

So tell me how upgrading to 7.3.2032 did not cause the issue?

9 hours ago, Marcos said:

We haven't released automatic program updates for Endpoint yet; ESMC 7.2 will be a prerequisite.

Well, you have a bug then, because we have had several machines that I did not upgrade manually, but they upgraded on their own. I discovered this because I noticed there was an alert on a machine. The alert was that the machine needed to reboot to complete an upgrade. I had not upgraded the machine manually and I am the only one who administers the ESET server. I asked the user to reboot and after they did, the version was upgraded to 7.2.2055. This was while we were on ESMC 7.1.

On 6/25/2020 at 3:59 AM, MichalJ said:

Hi @ShaneDT Indeed, you are right, and I can assure you, that enabling automatic product updates, for both the endpoint clients, and the management environment (both cloud / on premise) is our uppermost priority. 

Doesn't "enabling automatic product updates" mean it would be even more troublesome if we had to roll back the product version if a newly officially released version has major issue again (i.e like this computer-auto-shutdown case)?

This is exactly why I manually test the newly released upgrade on my testing computers first.

Edited by cmit
typo

On 6/23/2020 at 10:36 PM, Peter Randziak said:

Yes we have an update, the hotfix version should be available by the end of this month.

Peter

Do you mean this version (7.2.2072.0) that did not exist before when this v7.3 auto-shutdown issue started being reported in this forum topic?

hxxp://us-repository.eset.com/v1/com/eset/apps/business/eea/windows/v7/7.2.2072.0/eea_nt32.msi.changelog.html

image.thumb.png.1ef8c1fdc6e4d298e99511dacfb75c45.png

• Administrators

In managed environments update to a newer product version will not be automatic by default. We understand that many administrators want to test new versions before they are rolled out to clients.

My understanding is that admins will have to enable it via a policy first and also when a new program update is ready, accept the EULA in the ESMC console first.

Next week a new hotfix version of Endpoint 7.3 should be released.

On 6/26/2020 at 10:58 PM, Marcos said:

In managed environments update to a newer product version will not be automatic by default. We understand that many administrators want to test new versions before they are rolled out to clients.

My understanding is that admins will have to enable it via a policy first and also when a new program update is ready, accept the EULA in the ESMC console first.

Next week a new hotfix version of Endpoint 7.3 should be released.

what will be the exact version # of this hotfix?

any news about this issue today?

Edited by cmit
typo

16 hours ago, cmit said:

what will be the exact version # of this hotfix?

any news about this issue today?

version is 7.3.2036.0, should be released today.

Version 7.3.2036.0

• Fixed: System shutdown after a scheduled on-demand scan if no action was selected.
  • Fixed: Sensitivity levels of detection mechanism would block files even if configured to report only.
  • Fixed: Firewall rules editor could crash under some circumstances, particularly after many re-ordering changes.
  • Fixed: The management console of ESET Enterprise Inspector is unable to obtain a copy of quarantined endpoint object.
  • Fixed: Bootstrapped installer would abort if installation folder is not empty, regardless of forced background clean-up.
  • Fixed: Certain sections in advanced settings would not render as a result of processing large configuration lists in the background.
  • Fixed: Uninstallation process is blocked when advanced diagnostic logging of Network protection layer is enabled.
  • Fixed: During product upgrade from version 6.x, Program Component Update (PCU) settings are not properly configured (to defaults) in managed networks.
  • Fixed: Blocking of certain vendors' USB printers in Device control does not work.
Edited by Chaluha

On 6/11/2020 at 3:18 PM, Garrett said:

Have the same exact thing happen today. Needs to be fixed ASAP.

Same thing occurred today, had workstations powering down at random over the last couple days.

Will Endpoint Antivirus 7.3.2036.0 be available in the ERA 6 repository?  I'm not seeing it yet in ours.  If so is there a way for me to force an update to the repository?

UPDATE:  This morning the 7.3.2036.0 packages are visible in our ERA's repository.

Edited by JChurchill
New information. Problem resolved.

I just tested the new version and updated my version through eset task.
Selected no reboot but eset reboots my client anyway... that is not acceptable for our enterprise - user should be given the option to reboot their client when they want to (or at least forced reboot in the middle of the night).

image.png.d69c67b48a238b9c3f30b6f95d456e70.png

2 minutes ago, da_yoshman said:

I also updated 200+ Clients today from mostly 7.2.2055.0 to 7.3.2036.0 and didn't have the problem with an unplanned reboot.

I did it with 3 clients from 7.3.2032 to 7.3.2036 and all 3 did an unexpected reboot though the option for reboot were unchecked.

For those that have upgraded, did any of the clients just shut down and not reboot? That's my concern since no one is in the office to restart them, and I'm physically located 1700 miles from the office. If they're rebooting, I'm okay with that. It's the shutting down that was the problem for me.

2 hours ago, Panda said:

I did it with 3 clients from 7.3.2032 to 7.3.2036 and all 3 did an unexpected reboot though the option for reboot were unchecked.

I have upgraded about 140 endpoints since last night and none of them have rebooted automatically.  Do you have an assigned ERA (or SMC) client task that initiates a reboot when the endpoint reports it is needed?  (I do have one but it schedules the reboot for 1 AM.)

1 hour ago, JoeC said:

For those that have upgraded, did any of the clients just shut down and not reboot? That's my concern since no one is in the office to restart them, and I'm physically located 1700 miles from the office. If they're rebooting, I'm okay with that. It's the shutting down that was the problem for me.

So far none of them have shut down after the upgrade.

14 hours ago, JChurchill said:

I have upgraded about 140 endpoints since last night and none of them have rebooted automatically.  Do you have an assigned ERA (or SMC) client task that initiates a reboot when the endpoint reports it is needed?  (I do have one but it schedules the reboot for 1 AM.)

ah yes thanks for the hint! From last upgrade process i had a dynamic group with task to reboot the client!
I'm going to try it again without the autoassigned reboot task ^.^ oopsie :)

EDIT: I tried it again to upgrade to the newest version and everything went as expected.

Edited by Panda

I have upgraded three test endpoints to the latest version (7.3.2032-> 7.3.2036) with ESMC software install task. After successful installation and manual restart of the computer (there was a message asking for restart),  I noticed that the automatic module update task does not work. We use the default scheduled task, which should run every hour. Has anyone else noticed such a problem?

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, DDinev said:

I have upgraded three test endpoints to the latest version (7.3.2032-> 7.3.2036) with ESMC software install task. After successful installation and manual restart of the computer (there was a message asking for restart),  I noticed that the automatic module update task does not work. We use the default scheduled task, which should run every hour. Has anyone else noticed such a problem?

See https://forum.eset.com/topic/23893-regular-update-of-endpoint-antivirus-732032-does-not-work/

A workaround is to edit the default regular update task in Scheduler and change the skip option from "run at the next scheduled time" to "as soon as possible". A fix for this will be included in the next v7.3 hotfix.