upgrade to 7.3.2032 - computer gets shut down after scheduled scan

Jenova

• Administrators

In Scheduler you can disable on-demand scan tasks at least temporarily. If you want to scan machines, you can run an on-demand scan task from the ESMC console without using a policy. However, with all protection modules enabled and with ESET modules kept updated, it's unlikely that on-demand scans would detect any malware. Even if malware slipped through protection and was run on a machine, after adding a detection it would be detected and cleaned during a startup scan that is run automatically after update.

On 6/10/2020 at 9:37 PM, Marcos said:

You can temporarily remove scheduled scan tasks. Actually we do not recommend running a scheduled task too often, once per month should be enough as long as all protection modules are kept enabled and the product is kept updated.

If I remember correctly, sending a scan task from ESMC doesn't cause the machine to turn off so you could use this as a workaround.

@Marcos, If I'm not mistaken, we can only schedule weekly scans via ESMC policies, not monthly. Can you verify this?

I want to add to this that this also happened to me on two computers that I was testing the upgrade on where it immediately performed a scan after the upgrade was completed and promptly shut down the computers. The event log confirmed it was an ESET-initiated shutdown after a scan completion. This is the same as the others have reported, but not a scheduled task, and not on demand, but immediately after the upgrade. Being located 1700 miles away from the office, and during a pandemic where no one else is in the office on a regular basis, it took a full week to get someone in there to turn these computers on. Fortunately, they were computers that were not in use by anyone, so were perfect candidates for this upgrade. Of course, I can't risk updating any other computers to 7.3 until this is confirmed as resolved.

Marcos, we were scheduling our scans via a policy that added the task to the client's Tools, Scheduler. As you say, we can schedule via ESMC tasks instead, so will fall back to this option.

22 hours ago, JoeC said:

I want to add to this that this also happened to me on two computers that I was testing the upgrade on where it immediately performed a scan after the upgrade was completed and promptly shut down the computers. The event log confirmed it was an ESET-initiated shutdown after a scan completion. This is the same as the others have reported, but not a scheduled task, and not on demand, but immediately after the upgrade. Being located 1700 miles away from the office, and during a pandemic where no one else is in the office on a regular basis, it took a full week to get someone in there to turn these computers on. Fortunately, they were computers that were not in use by anyone, so were perfect candidates for this upgrade. Of course, I can't risk updating any other computers to 7.3 until this is confirmed as resolved.

Somebody from ESET should be responsible to fully explain how this troublesome issue happened.

Not sure if everyone from the ESET Tech Support team(s) is always keeping communicated with ESET QA and development teams about details of every released version of ESET products.

Edited by cmit
typo

i have the same issue with my clients in 7.3.2032.

I will try to schedule a client task from the console if it could be better.

i will tell you the result.

Edited by Johnny_31

On 6/9/2020 at 8:40 AM, Marcos said:

We expect a hotfix to be available in 1,5 weeks if no issues are found during tests.

May we have an ETA and status please?

Same issue with some but not all computers upgraded to 7.3.2032 with scheduled scans configured via policy in ESMC.

Have had a mad scramble the last few days to get all computers on 7.3 due to the W10 2004 blue screen issues...

@Marcos, could you or someone from ESET please explain what's going on with this case right now?

• Administrators

A hotfix version 7.3 has passed QA tests and is ready for release. It should not take long; I expect it to be released within next week.

2 hours ago, Marcos said:

A hotfix version 7.3 has passed QA tests and is ready for release. It should not take long; I expect it to be released within next week.

I will gladly take part in tests and install beta version.
Edited by MietekN

I just experienced this on my machine. Fortunately, I was in the office today, so I was able to stop it from rebooting. My big concern is that we have had a few computers automatically upgrade themselves without any intervention on our part. Is there a way I can prevent any other machines from automatically upgrading? I currently have 3 machines on 7.3 and would like to keep it that way until this issue is fixed. I have a lot of people working remotely and not much manpower available to turn machines back on.

18 minutes ago, Campbell IT said:

I just experienced this on my machine. Fortunately, I was in the office today, so I was able to stop it from rebooting. My big concern is that we have had a few computers automatically upgrade themselves without any intervention on our part. Is there a way I can prevent any other machines from automatically upgrading? I currently have 3 machines on 7.3 and would like to keep it that way until this issue is fixed. I have a lot of people working remotely and not much manpower available to turn machines back on.

In your policy, navigate to Update>Settings>Updates>Program Component Update....Update mode should be set to Never Update

6 minutes ago, Topher said:

In your policy, navigate to Update>Settings>Updates>Program Component Update....Update mode should be set to Never Update

Thanks. It was set properly, but not forced.

Campbell IT I don't know that you're understanding what your problem is. If your computers are upgraded to 7.3, they are not shutting down due to upgrading, they are shutting down due to a bug in this version that triggers a shut down after a scheduled scan. You need to go into your policy settings and turn off the scheduled scans.

And as far as I'm aware the 'Program Update' policy does not and has never worked? I've never been able to get any of my endpoints to automatically update the EES software. Always have to deploy it manually from the server.

• Administrators
5 hours ago, ShaneDT said:

And as far as I'm aware the 'Program Update' policy does not and has never worked? I've never been able to get any of my endpoints to automatically update the EES software. Always have to deploy it manually from the server.

We haven't released automatic program updates for Endpoint yet; ESMC 7.2 will be a prerequisite.

5 minutes ago, Marcos said:

We haven't released automatic program updates for Endpoint yet; ESMC 7.2 will be a prerequisite.

Yep, but the option is and has been there in the policy settings since I've been selling ESET (circa v6). If the option doesn't work it shouldn't be there, but it really is an option that we need. Every other vendor has had automatic program updates for aeons.

7 minutes ago, MichalJ said:

Hi @ShaneDT Indeed, you are right, and I can assure you, that enabling automatic product updates, for both the endpoint clients, and the management environment (both cloud / on premise) is our uppermost priority. 

👍