ESET Online Scanner can't update itself

Hello!

When I started ESET Online Scanner today the program downloaded the latest version but the update was not finished successfully. How can I manually update the scanner?

Do I need internet access (connectivity) to run the ESET Online Scanner?

Internet access is needed to download the module updates for the detection engine. If you attempt to run the ESET Online Scanner without an internet connection, you will receive the "Unsuccessful download of module update" error message. However, ESET Online Scanner has an offline mode, so it can be run without internet access after the initial module update if you have not opted to delete program data on closing.

https://support.eset.com/en/kb405-online-scanner-faq

Edited by itman

• Most Valued Members
12 minutes ago, itman said:

Yea but he is saying that when he started the scanner , it started to download the updates and then failed to continue.

23 minutes ago, Nightowl said:

Do you have an error message?

No error message was displayed during the update. A green checkmark was displayed, but the scanner was not restarted as usual.

Edited by Matias86

• Most Valued Members

If you had a green checkmark after the update , then I believe the update was run successfuly , why do you think it didn't update?

because it didn't restart? it could be an already updated version obtained from ESET servers when you've downloaded it and you only took small signature update.

The scanner can update the virus signature database without any issues, but it can't update itself. When I restarted the scanner manually, the update process started again.

Edited by Matias86

I would just uninstall it. Per prior Eset knowledge base linked article:

How do I uninstall the ESET Online Scanner components from my computer?

After every scan, you have the option to delete the ESET Online Scanner program files and components. Select the check box next to Delete application data on closing to automatically uninstall the scanner when you click Submit and close. However, if any files were quarantined, the ESET Online Scanner directories will not be removed.

Manual Uninstall: Delete the esetonlinescanner directory from the following location: C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\ESET\ESETOnlineScanner\

Download the most current version. Then see if that resolves the issue.

Edited by itman

On 5/20/2020 at 6:10 PM, itman said:

I would just uninstall it. Download the most current version

I followed your suggestion and the problem has been resolved. Thanks again.

Edited by Matias86

• 1 month later...

ESET Online scanner can't update itself due to missing api-ms-win-core-winrt-error-l1-1-0.dll. The following error appears (translate from russian)

The program can't start because api-ms-win-core-winrt-error-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

Can someone upload this dll for me? I use preinstalled Windows 7, therefore I don't have Windows installation DVD.

Edited by Matias86