ESET Internet Security - Too Aggressive - File or Folder Open in Another Program - Executables Locked

Hi All,

This has been happening for months, but with the latest version of ESET Internet Security, I often find that a lot of my applications can't update themselves because ESET locks a file handle on actively running programs.  TeamSpeak 3 fails to update all the time.

ESET is notorious for locking the PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (PUBG) executable (TslGame.exe and TslGame_BE.exe)  as well.  I have to constantly log off Windows and re-login to launch PUBG again (after it occasionally crashes) because ESET locks it.

Here's the thread I posted thinking it was PUBG's fault, and while it still may be, none of my friends use ESET, and they don't have this problem.

https://forums.pubg.com/topic/398061-loading-screen-fails-to-initialize-ui-freezes-crashes/?tab=comments#comment-1456920

This has been driving me crazy.  I've noticed that adding entire drive paths to the detection engine exclusions has helped.  When I add exclusions, I don't get any frustrating messages that a file or folder is open by another application or similar when trying to replace or update files.  

I'm a developer, and I often release new program EXEs that should replace old ones, but I can't even do that when using my computer.  I've also tried to replace other program executables and DLLs only to be blocked by my own security product.  What gives?  This is insane!  

ESET is too aggressive and shouldn't be blocking me from updating any file.  Can I turn this annoying behavior off?  I'm fine with ESET scanning the files in real-time for viruses, but blocking me from doing my work is so frustrating.  I'm about ready to uninstall ESET and use TinyWall.  I just need a basic firewall.  AV and Malware is no longer needed for the most part, and with how bloated everyone's product is becoming, why would anyone want to run security software anymore?  A firewall is all I need, and I really do like ESETs, but I don't like its aggressive blocking behavior that has nothing to do with the firewall.

I'm running Windows 7 SP1 x64 with the latest updates (Jan 2020).

ESET Internet Security version is:  13.1.21.0

• Most Valued Members
10 hours ago, ejone said:

I'm a developer, and I often release new program EXEs that should replace old ones, but I can't even do that when using my computer.  I've also tried to replace other program executables and DLLs only to be blocked by my own security product.  What gives?  This is insane!  

I don't know a lot about software development or how eset fully works however I presume what your working on isn't released, possibly not signed etc.

What I'm getting at is I'm wondering if eset and possibly augur its machine learning technology could be blocking your own stuff because it is unknown and so doesn't have anything  to check it against. 

https://support.eset.com/en/what-s-new-in-eset-version-13-home-products#AML

If you check that link above there is a screenshot where you can change the levels of esets protections e.g. aggressive, balanced etc.

I'm no expert so this might not be the issue just wondering if it could be linked

• Most Valued Members
22 hours ago, peteyt said:

I don't know a lot about software development or how eset fully works however I presume what your working on isn't released, possibly not signed etc.

What I'm getting at is I'm wondering if eset and possibly augur its machine learning technology could be blocking your own stuff because it is unknown and so doesn't have anything  to check it against. 

https://support.eset.com/en/what-s-new-in-eset-version-13-home-products#AML

If you check that link above there is a screenshot where you can change the levels of esets protections e.g. aggressive, balanced etc.

I'm no expert so this might not be the issue just wondering if it could be linked

I believe so too changing the machine learning and real-time protection settings might help in your case

Still so , Windows 7 should be evaded by now.

Steps to Reproduce:

Download and install an older version of Teamspeak 3 Client (use defaults while installing).

https://www.filepuma.com/download/teamspeak_client_64bit_3.5.2-25154/

Launch the client.  Check for updates.  Let it download and install the update.  Update will fail because one of the executables the updater is trying to patch will be locked by ESET.  

I will see if adjusting the machine learning settings help. 

Changing the real-time protection settings appears to have helped.  I haven't had any problems today.  Here's how I configured mine:

2088_BQ557e_2020-05-1820_30_45-Advanceds

Edited by ejone

• Most Valued Members
On 5/19/2020 at 5:31 AM, ejone said:

Changing the real-time protection settings appears to have helped.  I haven't had any problems today.  Here's how I configured mine:

2088_BQ557e_2020-05-1820_30_45-Advanceds

Try to switch the Suspicious to Balanced or Cautios again

Was your computer without internet connection when these detections has occured?

Edited by Nightowl

• 1 month later...

I am still having problems with processes being locked far longer than they should be especially after they have already terminated.  I uninstalled ESET Internet Security, and now I no longer have any problems.  PUBG launches right up...

It's possible that something went screwy as I updated from older versions over the years.  I'll see if reinstalling a fresh copy produces the same issues.  If it does, it's time for Tinywall :(

Edited by ejone

• Administrators

If you have an account in the PUBG forum, could you ask "own3mall" if he has ESET installed? In the mean time I will try to reach out to the support and ask for a trial version so that we can reproduce it on our end.

1 minute ago, Marcos said:

If you have an account in the PUBG forum, could you ask "own3mall" if he has ESET installed? In the mean time I will try to reach out to the support and ask for a trial version so that we can reproduce it on our end.

I am own3mall.  I was unable to register on these forums without using a Google account (hence the username change).

The problem is it wasn't just PUBG.  I just saw it a lot with PUBG.  I'm trying a fresh install (after completely uninstalling / deleting my settings) to see if that fixes the issue.  I will update when I know more.  Sorry to be such a pain.  I just want my PC to work the way it's supposed to.  :(

• Administrators

Does setting "Protection" to OFF for a particular type of detection make a difference? If so, for what type of detection you must set protection to off? In your screen shot only suspicious applications are set to off. PUA and PUsA are off by default.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure.  Whatever I changed didn't seem to help anyways.  The uninstall and fresh installation appears to be working fine at the moment.

It may have been a fluke issue caused by some ESET upgrade path.  Still trying to see if I can get you guys more helpful info.

• Administrators

So I gather the issue went away after installing the latest v13.1 from scratch with default settings. Let us know if it returns, e.g. after changing a particular setting.

It's been better for PUBG as of lately with the fresh re-install, but I still think that something is off.  I haven't seen the locked processes problem yet though (unrelated to PUBG), so that' good. 

• 4 weeks later...

The pubg problem definitely seems better, but I'm still running into random access denied issues from a file lock being applied by ESET to various files.

I attached a screenshot of a file I was editing.  I couldn't save the changes I made to the file until the file lock that I believe ESET is applying went away (had to wait about a minute).  It was telling me that permission was denied, but then it worked a minute later.  This issue is also super frustrating and annoying.

Just FYI, I run Windows 7 SP1, but it's skinned as XP.  :)

eset_file_locks.png

Edited by own3mall

I'm not really sure.  It could be  "Real-time file system protection" causing these locks, but I really have no way of knowing.  Does ESET log any of the files it locks?

Also, the fresh reinstall of ESET Security definitely did NOT fix my PUBG issues.  Last night, I had to attempt launching the game 5 times.  Each try involves me having to log off (Start - Shutdown - Logoff) and back on, then launch PUBG, and if it crashes (sometimes with a interrupted by external software message - though it doesn't identify what that application is) repeat the process to finally get it to work.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like my file lock issue was caused by a bug in Windows:

https://superuser.com/questions/740621/cant-save-batch-file-shortly-after-running-it-on-windows-7#answer-741268

https://superuser.com/questions/410001/which-program-is-locking-all-my-executable-files

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/fcdde3bc-43a1-4ab6-b0b5-9525fe4e84c8/fatal-error-lnk1168-cannot-open-filenameexe-for-writing?forum=vcgeneral

I had the Application Experience service disabled.  I've re-enabled it now, and I haven't seen any problems so far.

I thought it was ESET related, but it's not.  :(

Sorry about that!