HIPS Alert for Host process

Another possibility is MS pushed May security updates yesterday. Perhaps she has the update applied and you don't? Also something in that update possibly changed in regards to access to this area and Eset is triggering on that change.

Edited by itman

• ESET Insiders
5 minutes ago, itman said:

My assumption at this point is she might have been hit with some credential stealing malware. Appears Eset has default HIPS rules to lock down access to this area.

It's possible though, maybe even likely, her school has them using Zoom, which I'm not crazy about lol.

• ESET Insiders
1 minute ago, itman said:

Another possibility is MS pushed May security updates yesterday. Perhaps she has the update applied and you don't? Also something in that update possibly changed in regards to access to this area and Eset is triggering on that change.

No, lol, she's not that organized haha. I updated but she hasn't yet. And I'm on the slow insider ring so I have 2004, where as she is still on 1903 I think it is

• ESET Insiders
1 minute ago, itman said:

At this point, you will have to tract down what service is causing this and find out if its legit.

Yea, pretty much. But have you ever tried prying a laptop away from a teenager? lol. Especially when they have the "I'm doing school work" excuse 

• Most Valued Members
On 5/14/2020 at 2:34 AM, NewbyUser said:

Yea, pretty much. But have you ever tried prying a laptop away from a teenager? lol. Especially when they have the "I'm doing school work" excuse 

The best you could do for now , is run for a deep scan and check if there are any kind of malicious software or un-needed software that might cause this confusion

• ESET Insiders
1 hour ago, Nightowl said:

The best you could do for now , is run for a deep scan and check if there are any kind of malicious software or un-needed software that might cause this confusion

This seemed to be related to her laptop not connecting to Livegrid. I restarted it and we haven't seen the alert since. Did a scan anyway and found nothing.