Future changes to ESET products for Windows servers

• Administrators

Hello,

The goal of this message thread is to provide ESET with specific feedback on changes and new features you would like to see in future versions of ESET products for Windows servers. Please use the following format when providing feedback:

Description: A very-specific one-line description of your feedback.
Detail: A more detailed explanation of your feedback. Please feel free to make this any length, but be sure to use terms everyone can understand. If your suggestion is an extension or update to an existing discussion, please include a link to it in your message.

If the feedback concerns a specific product feature and is not common for all ESET Windows sever products, please add a tag with the product name.

Here is an example:

Description:  Arduino support
Detail:  The Arduino is a small ARM-based single-board computer popular with hobbyists.  I think ESET should make a version of ESET File Security for it.

You are welcome to discuss the merits of each and every suggestion, but keep your comments on topic, concise and thoughtful.  There are other parts of the forum to discuss issues.

NOTE:  When making your requests do not offer general suggestions such as "better detection, HIPS, firewall, cleaning, and so forth."  ESET's threat researchers constantly examine new threats and release updates to the virus signature database and to the modules in order to improve these functions.  Requests must be actionable:  If you have a specific feature or functionality you would like to see added (or improved) please post it here, but general requests to "make things better" or "improve detection" are not helpful because they do not give ESET detailed enough information.  Thank you for your understanding.

• Marcos pinned this topic

Please consider adding firewall module for ESET File Security - as for me the very same module (as it exists in Endpoint products) would be enough. Managing firewalls centrally from ESMC for both desktops and servers makes perfect sense. I believe this feature would be widely used.

I would also forward this request my my local distributors and would like to ask other ESET business users to do the same. Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Most Valued Members

ESET File Security

Web filtering if it's possible (Categories based blocking)

Application Control

RDP Users overview (Logs of connections and status)

Machine Learning Settings

Edited by Nightowl

• 3 weeks later...

Description: Eset Mail Security recipient rule condition for bcc recipient
Detail: When I create a "recipient rule condition" for a rule, it did not check in the bcc field. Can you add an option so that the "rule recipient condition" also applies to the content of the bcc header field ?

Description: Eset Mail Quarantine Report include all email from "additional access rights" in the web interface config section
Detail: In the web interface, we can add additional access rights to a user. Can you add the possibility to take into account these rights for the email quarantine report (so that what's on the email is the same as what’s on the quarantine web interface).

• 1 month later...

Please add Web Control URL and Category filtering to server product. This is HUGE on a terminal server. Previously with Trend Micro I was able to limit web traffic to only a select set of websites from a terminal server. This was great. 

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Description:    Firewall protection functionality for ESET Server Security for Microsoft Windows servers

Detail:                With the various attack vectors growing along with many application specific restrictions required it would be greatly appreciated if we had the same firewall protections built into "ESET Endpoint Security" client in the server platform aka "ESET Server Security for Microsoft Windows Server" client.  This has always been a winning edge for ESET solution in the enterprise amongst the competition and is a shame that this functionality is NOT within the server product today.

Use Case:           Recently we were looking to enable a server as a jump box for a given specific application but only to connect to specific servers.  Currently can only be completed on a Windows 10 machine since the functionality for firewall capabilities does NOT exist within ESET built-in application and we DO NOT use Microsoft Windows firewall as we have centralized on ESET for firewall management.

ESET Endpoint Security (Firewall protection) noted below: (as of v8.1.2031.0)

eset_endpoint_security.JPG.f110cbb6811c9af5116d1e31fd06a3dd.JPG

ESET Server Security for Microsoft Windows Servers (NO Firewall protection) noted below: (as of v8.0.12003.0)

eset_server_security_for_microsoft_windows_server.JPG.0ed8cc980b9a76a0013e578e733348d0.JPG

• 6 months later...

Description: More/better options to set the gui on (Terminal) Servers
Detail: Just like the ESET Endpoint products for workstations now use, it would be much better to have the options to set the gui to Full, Minimal, Manual and Silent in stead of just Full and Terminal (in which the last one I think is not the right term).

• 3 weeks later...

Description: A feature that acts like a peer to peer version of the shared local cache for Endpoint/File Server Security products.

Details: Take a standard file client/server scenario where a document/file server has any number of clients connecting to the server and all the machines are protected by Endpoint or ESET Server File Security product with default settings. If my memory serves correct, the default settings for both products are to scan network files on open/create/modify/execute operations. That would mean that for every network file operation, scanning is taking place on both the client and the server (or each peer). That would mean that every file is scanned twice on every file operation over the network (in theory anyways).

To speed things up it would be beneficial for file servers to send and receive cached scan results for files on the server as they're being accessed by clients. In the future, the communication could be used to further optimize network file operations by allowing either the client or the server to perform scanning operations based on processing speed or load.

At the very least I'd like to see ESET's File Server products have the option of running a scan cache for Endpoint products to optionally connect to when performing networked file operations. What would be even better is if all ESET business products receive the capability to cache results for other networked ESET clients under the same administrative control.

The net result would be another reason to ignore the shared cache appliance for local networks and hopefully faster networked file operations in general.

The Endpoint firewall has some pretty good features when it comes to zones/profiles/rule matching. It would be a great addition to the Windows Server products since the Windows firewall falls short for advanced scenarios such as multi-homed machines.

I would use it for servers, even if it came in a separate installer, with a giant hazard label that said it wasn't stable enough for servers, and was entirely unsupported by ESET.

• 10 months later...

Description: add firewall functionality to ESET Server Security

Detail: ESET Endpoint Security has a firewall, but no support for Windows server operating systems, ESET Server Security is exactly the opposite.

• 1 month later...
On 5/21/2020 at 6:17 PM, Nightowl said:

ESET File Security

Web filtering if it's possible (Categories based blocking)

Application Control

RDP Users overview (Logs of connections and status)

Machine Learning Settings

Yes, this is highly desirable and sadly lacking for the server product on RDP servers. 

I requested this 2 years ago with our local ESET rep and haven’t heard anything. 

surely this wouldn’t be too hard to implement since you already have. Intent filtering on the endpoint protection product for the desktop.

Please implement this as soon as possible… thanks

• 10 months later...

Description: Remove device restart requirement after each upgrade of ESET Server Security

Detail: After each ESET Server Security upgrade a device restart is required.  For new installs a restart is not required. I would like to see upgrades have the same behavior in that a restart not be required. Thank you.