Multiple Eset securities detected when installing oculus app

Hi,

after unsuccessful oculus app installation, I disabled my eset antivirus thinking it might be the cause, but installation failed again. After checking oculus setup logs I found out, that besides one Eset Security antivirus I disabled there is one more Eset Security antivirus listed. Does anyone know what this not-disabled eset might be? How do I disable this second Eset as well? 

Thanks for help in advance.

Jakub 

eset security.png

• Administrators

Try uninstalling ESET. After a reboot, start Windows in safe mode and run the ESET Uninstall tool to remove possible leftovers. Then install the latest version of ESET from scratch.

14 hours ago, Marcos said:

Try uninstalling ESET. After a reboot, start Windows in safe mode and run the ESET Uninstall tool to remove possible leftovers. Then install the latest version of ESET from scratch.

Hi, thanks for answer. I tried to uninstall eset as you suggested, everything went fine, but the only eset security that disappeared was the one working correctly. The mysterious eset is still there. (yes, I did also run uninstall tool in safe mode, only thing it found were some leftovers I think)

eset security2.png

2 hours ago, Kubo123 said:

Hi, thanks for answer. I tried to uninstall eset as you suggested, everything went fine, but the only eset security that disappeared was the one working correctly. The mysterious eset is still there. (yes, I did also run uninstall tool in safe mode, only thing it found were some leftovers I think)

eset security2.png

You can use FRST to delete that registry entry from windows security integration. Reinstall ESET only after doing so.

hxxp://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/335081-frst-tutorial-how-to-use-farbar-recovery-scan-tool/

Since Eset uninstaller was run, my opinion is the oculus app installer has a bug and is falsely identifying that Eset Security has been installed twice. One possibilty is if you have a backup drive or the like and the installer is triggering on the Eset related files and/or registry entries stored on that drive.

It is physically impossible to have the same version of Eset installed twice. If EIS was installed for example and a later version of same was installed, it will just overlay the previous version. The only possible way two Eset versions could be installed was if one was NOD32 and the other EIS or ESS. Also, I suspect the Eset installer will just overlay the existing installation if it detects NOD32 for example, and EIS or ESS is attempting to install.

Another possibility is along the line of a system restore using a restore point which was created prior to the current Eset installed version. The oculus app installer might be interpreting the difference in Eset versions possibly present in the registry, as two Eset versions being installed.

Edited by itman

• Administrators

Please provide logs collected with ESET Log Collector after selecting "All" template. We'll check the registry if there are any leftovers after an older version, however, the Uninstall tool was supposed to detect them.

Thank you all for your replies. I'll upload results of eset log collector here. + Marcos, do you recommend me trying to use method proposed by SeriousHoax?

*edit Found log from eset uninstall tool, idk whether its gonna be useful

ELC_logs.zip

~ESETUninstaller.log

Edited by Kubo123

36 minutes ago, Kubo123 said:

Thank you all for your replies. I'll upload results of eset log collector here. + Marcos, do you recommend me trying to use method proposed by SeriousHoax?

ELC_logs.zipUnavailable

You can try scanning by the tool. It will open two logs after scanning then search ESET to check whether it exist.

On 5/8/2020 at 6:04 PM, SeriousHoax said:

You can try scanning by the tool. It will open two logs after scanning then search ESET to check whether it exist.

Hi, thanks for your advice. After scanning I found 

AV: ESET Security (Enabled - Up to date) {EC1D6F37-E411-475A-DF50-12FF7FE4AC70}
AS: ESET Security (Enabled - Up to date) {577C8ED3-C22B-48D4-E5E0-298D0463E6CD}

FW: ESET Firewall (Enabled) {D426EE12-AE7E-4602-F40F-BBCA8137EB0B}

in Addition.txt file (+ som errors in log from time I tried to let eset repair itself)

and

S3 esihdrv; C:\Users\Kubo\AppData\Local\Temp\esihdrv.sys [149928 2020-05-08] (ESET, spol. s r.o. -> ESET) <==== ATTENTION

in FRST file. If my understanding of tutorial is correct I now create Fixlist.txt file, copy those lines into this file and click on Fix, right?

Thanks for advice in advance. 

Run the Eset uninstaller again in Win safe mode mode. This time append the the /force parameter; e.g.

ESETUnistaller.exe /force

Ensure a space exists prior to the /force parameter.

Advanced user commands

(To view a full list of available commands for the ESET Uninstaller, type ESETUninstaller.exe /help or click to view a screenshot :
  • If you are removing ESET products from bootable media, you will be asked if you want to remove ESET files from each available partition separately.
  • /mode=offline specifies the uninstallation mode for CD and USB drives.
  • /mode=online specifies hard disks. Very rarely, you may need to use the /mode=onlineparameter to force the ESET product file deletions if the ESET Uninstaller does not detect your bootable media automatically.
  • /force removes all present ESET products and components (including ERA components) without being prompted; run the uninstaller with the /force parameter
  • In some cases, the ESET Uninstaller tool will need to be launched by typing ESETUninstaller.exe /reinst into the command line and pressing Enter. The ESET Uninstaller utility will prompt you if the switch is necessary.

Edited by itman

17 hours ago, Kubo123 said:

Hi, thanks for your advice. After scanning I found 

AV: ESET Security (Enabled - Up to date) {EC1D6F37-E411-475A-DF50-12FF7FE4AC70}
AS: ESET Security (Enabled - Up to date) {577C8ED3-C22B-48D4-E5E0-298D0463E6CD}

FW: ESET Firewall (Enabled) {D426EE12-AE7E-4602-F40F-BBCA8137EB0B}

in Addition.txt file (+ som errors in log from time I tried to let eset repair itself)

and

S3 esihdrv; C:\Users\Kubo\AppData\Local\Temp\esihdrv.sys [149928 2020-05-08] (ESET, spol. s r.o. -> ESET) <==== ATTENTION

in FRST file. If my understanding of tutorial is correct I now create Fixlist.txt file, copy those lines into this file and click on Fix, right?

Thanks for advice in advance. 

Yes, that's right. Did you do it? Any positive outcome?

18 minutes ago, SeriousHoax said:

Yes, that's right. Did you do it? Any positive outcome?

Yes, this seems to have worked. Thank you very much for your help.