Last evening, an ESET pop-up appeared in the lower right notification area asking me to fill out a survey regarding VPN usage. I thought it was a little weird since this was the first time this had ever happened in the many years that I've used the product, but I wasn't really suspicious of it until just now when it occurred to me to wonder if it was actually legitimate , so I tried to do a search to see if anyone else had recently received this notification, which came back with no results. As far as I know, ESET Internet Security doesn't even include a VPN component, so I figured this must just be a marketing thing to gauge potential interest for a future product. I then checked the advanced settings to see if there was a new setting that needed to be disabled to receive marketing questionnaires, which led me to https://help.eset.com/eis/13/en-US/whats_new.html?idh_config_alert.html This page appears to say that the default state is off unless opted into, which I'm assuming should mean that I shouldn't have gotten the pop-up. This leads me to wonder: is my computer infected or was this a legitimate pop-up from ESET?

The computer is running Windows 10 Version 1909 and ESET Internet Security 13.1.21.0

• 5 weeks later...
  • ESET Moderators

Hello,

The in-product message you saw was part of small survey being done by ESET.  ESET periodically reaches out to small numbers of customers to get their feedback on existing technologies, as well as gauge their interest in future ones and so forth.

In-product messaging can be toggled on and off in the Advanced Setup user interface options (open ESET GUI → press F5 key  → select User Interface in left navigation pane  → expand Alerts and Message Boxes in right pane  → select (toggle) the Display marketing messages under In-product messaging in right pane) as noted in https://help.eset.com/eis/13/en-US/idh_config_alert.html.

By default, this option shows up with a “?” question mark in the user interface, because the behavior of In-product messaging depends upon your regional settings and location, which are used to determine compliance for your location’s privacy requirements.  These vary from region to region (e.g., GDPR for EU member states, CCPA for California residents and so forth).  So, if you wish to allow or disallow in-product messaging, select the appropriate option in the user interface.  You can always toggle this option at any time—it is not something that can only be set once and never changed.

In the case of this particular survey, it was sent out only to customers who had purchased ESET’s software.  The survey was not considered a marketing offer since no good or service was advertised, but rather a research activity to provide ESET with insight about future product directions.  As such, it would be displayed even if in-product messaging were disabled by the customer.  We are evaluating this approach based on customer feedback, and may fine-tune it should we need to survey customers in the future.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Most Valued Members
On 6/4/2020 at 7:31 PM, Aryeh Goretsky said:

Hello,

The in-product message you saw was part of small survey being done by ESET.  ESET periodically reaches out to small numbers of customers to get their feedback on existing technologies, as well as gauge their interest in future ones and so forth.

In-product messaging can be toggled on and off in the Advanced Setup user interface options (open ESET GUI → press F5 key  → select User Interface in left navigation pane  → expand Alerts and Message Boxes in right pane  → select (toggle) the Display marketing messages under In-product messaging in right pane) as noted in https://help.eset.com/eis/13/en-US/idh_config_alert.html.

By default, this option shows up with a “?” question mark in the user interface, because the behavior of In-product messaging depends upon your regional settings and location, which are used to determine compliance for your location’s privacy requirements.  These vary from region to region (e.g., GDPR for EU member states, CCPA for California residents and so forth).  So, if you wish to allow or disallow in-product messaging, select the appropriate option in the user interface.  You can always toggle this option at any time—it is not something that can only be set once and never changed.

In the case of this particular survey, it was sent out only to customers who had purchased ESET’s software.  The survey was not considered a marketing offer since no good or service was advertised, but rather a research activity to provide ESET with insight about future product directions.  As such, it would be displayed even if in-product messaging were disabled by the customer.  We are evaluating this approach based on customer feedback, and may fine-tune it should we need to survey customers in the future.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

interesting does that mean eset is looking into VPN services?