Online + Offline Installer and First update after installation

I'm stating two issues here in one topic.

First, ESET has two types of installers, one is an online installer and the other is offline. But both are totally misleading. The offline installer is merely a 53 mb file which only installs the product but the all the modules data is downloaded after installing. Then the online installer which should do what the name suggests but it doesn't. All it does is downloads that 53 mb installer and install and of course downloads all the modules data after installing. Why even say it an online installer while it's definitely not! Highly misleading. Literally every AV I ever tried, all of their online installer download the whole product including modules and signatures, etc. ESET is the only exceptional one. Same goes for which is supposed to be ESET's offline installer. Almost all AV who still provides an offline installer installs the full product and only download the required new updates after installing unlike ESET. I don't understand! If you want to give users the option for an offline installer then that should contain every modules, updates till the day of creation and for the online installer it must download everything first then install the product.

The second issue is, ESET update downloading speed right after installing is always very slow for me. Most of the time it only use 10-20% of my bandwidth even when there is no other internet activity. I started using ESET when version 12 came out and so far it has always been this way. My internet is already pretty slow so only using 10-20% bandwidth makes the process extremely annoying. Update download speed is always slow I guess but since the daily signature updates are only a few kilobytes, those are not noticeable but the first update is. Why does this happen? Why can't ESET make use of the rest of the free internet bandwidth?

• Administrators

I'm not an expert in installer terminology but would it help if we better not call it "online installer" but "live installer"?   I would say it would be even more confusing then. We use the term "live installer" in the business environment in connection with ESMC.
The purpose of this installer is to make installation straightforward; the user doesn't have to think about what Windows he or she has, the bitness of the OS, etc.; the online installer determines this.

We have removed modules from the consumer product installers because:
1. The first update was always big (looking just at the engine, the total size to download would be about 85 MB).
2, The installers were unnecessarily bigger; the embedded modules were redundant since they were updated during the first big update.

16 minutes ago, Marcos said:

I'm not an expert in installer terminology but would it help if we better not call it "online installer" but "live installer"?   I would say it would be even more confusing then. We use the term "live installer" in the business environment in connection with ESMC.
The purpose of this installer is to make installation straightforward; the user doesn't have to think about what Windows he or she has, the bitness of the OS, etc.; the online installer determines this.

We have removed modules from the consumer product installers because:
1. The first update was always big (looking just at the engine, the total size to download would be about 85 MB).
2, The installers were unnecessarily bigger; the embedded modules were redundant since they were updated during the first big update.

Ok Live installer it is. Just a synonym but the meaning should be the same. The live installer can still determine the OS and install the full product from online and then install it. Maybe it would be even possible to implement something like multi-threaded download so that the download speed should be fast unlike the in product download speed which is terribly slow for me which is also I mentioned above.

Is 85 mb would be the size of the installer for the whole package? I see that ESET currently downloads around 150 mb during the first update. So if the compressed version in an offline installer is only 85 mb then I think that's not big at all. That's probably the smallest I've seen. Even with my not so good internet it would only take over a minute to download that. Even a 150 mb installer shouldn't be considered huge and many other AVs have a lot larger ones. Also like you said, the live installer's job is to download the product without worrying about OS versions, etc so most people are likely to download the live installer anyway so a 85 mb or even a bit larger optional offline installer is fine and seems more appropriate than the current one.

Basically the live version will be used when you don't have idea about 32 bit and 64 bit environments. Secondly it will surely needs fast internet connection to complete the job. But an offline installer does not need any internet connection. But you should have idea about OS environments to download the right version for your PC. Meanwhile a normal internet connection is also fine for downloading an offline version. Sometimes the online version will be terminated or it will show an error if your internet is slow or connection was terminated.

That's all

• Administrators

Consumer products require Internet connection for activation. It is not possible to use them on completely offline computers.

If modules were embedded in installers, the user would have to first download a big installer (> 170 MB) and after installation another big update (> 100 MB) since most modules from the installer would be already outdated. Currently modules are downloaded only once after installation and activation so outdated modules from installers don't have to be downloaded twice; once with the installer and the second time after installation.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Updates are usually very small, typically below 100kB if you update on a regular basis and don't skip some updates.