Online Scanner

Hi there,

I had some issues with ESET Online Scanner on Friday morning where the text wouldn't show. I went ahead and ran a full scan anyway around 9am (with the option to quarantine PUP enabled) but around the time it started scanning the syswow folder, an infection popped up. I stupidly cancelled the scan and deleted the C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\ESET\ESETOnlineScanner to reinstall ESET so the text would show and I'll be able to see what was blocked but I hadn't realized that the file had been moved to quarantine.

As i cancelled half way through, the log doesnt show what was deleted and I had already deleted the quarantine folder straight after the scan.

I had ran a full scan the night before which showed no malware present. The only change was the ESET modules updating from 45146 to 45148. I also ran a windows update on the 15th so i don't think it's that. 

Is there any other way to find out exactly what I was infected with?

Thanks for coming back to me. Does EOS automatically quarantine all infections or just PUP's?

Sorry to reopen this topic but is there any chance EOS threw up a false positive relating to Windows Update KB4549951?

Since I have no idea what infection was removed and how long it had been on my computer (since i scanned multiple times with EOS the previous 2 days and i had no threats), I'm not sure if it might be safer to just format the whole drive.

Edited by tj03
More detail/spelling error

• Administrators

We are not aware of an FP on Windows update, that should basically never happen since such files are typically trusted and our detections are smart enough not to detect clean files. When FPs happen, it's not on Microsoft's or other popular files.

You can install ESET, activate a trial license and have the disks completely scanned. You shouldn't need to format the disk and reinstall the OS.

Hi All

online scanner:

Just wanted to perhaps confirm once you have downloaded the exe file and it runs it should therefore not save as a program on your machine correct? as i see the icon on the desktop however i cant seem to locate it in the system drive or under programs and file but i can open it but it displaying incorrect with the words and not showing can some share some insight on how to remove or resolve this issue at the moment

Edited by Ricky101

Ricky, delete files in C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\ESET\ESETOnlineScanner folder and run the exe again, that solved it for me.

Marcos, the only change i can see that happened overnight was Windows installing the following update 9PKDZBMV1H3T-Microsoft.GetHelp. Has EOS had any issues with this before?

49 minutes ago, tj03 said:

Marcos, the only change i can see that happened overnight was Windows installing the following update 9PKDZBMV1H3T-Microsoft.GetHelp. Has EOS had any issues with this before?

It arrived on my device on 4/19. Since EOS and Eset installed products use the same signature database, don't see how this Win Update could cause any issues.

Damn, it just seems strange that the only time eset stops displaying icons, it also detects a virus.

Just feeling very paranoid about how it was able to hide itself when i scanned with various other antivirus and how many other virus's i have which haven't been found yet.

• 4 weeks later...

delete files in C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\ESET\ESETOnlineScanner folder and run the exe again

did the job for me. thanks a lot tj03!

Edited by tangosierra