Just came back to ESET

I'm an old customer since the days of NOD32 v2 but last year I switched to other products as I was not happy with ESET but decided to give it another try now so I bought a 3 year license for NOD32.

I have a couple of questions:

1) When I installed it using the downloader that I got when I bought it, it didn't ask for a product key and just activated automatically. Is that something new I guess? Pretty neat.

2) What I'm confused about is under exclusions there is performance exclusions and detection exclusions, can someone explain what is performance exclusions?

• Administrators

1, During installation the installer asks for a license key unless you upgrade an already activated product.

2, Detection exclusions serve to exclude a specific detection triggered on a file, typically PUA. The file is kept scanned and other detections may be triggered on it, e.g. in case it gets infected with a virus. Conversely performance exclusions serve to exclude files that are clean and safe but for some reason cause performance issues when scanned.

29 minutes ago, Marcos said:

1, During installation the installer asks for a license key unless you upgrade an already activated product.

2, Detection exclusions serve to exclude a specific detection triggered on a file, typically PUA. The file is kept scanned and other detections may be triggered on it, e.g. in case it gets infected with a virus. Conversely performance exclusions serve to exclude files that are clean and safe but for some reason cause performance issues when scanned.

Thanks for the explanation. I get number 2 now. But regarding point 1, no sir this is a clean install not an upgrade. I think ESET is now embedding the product key within the installer if you download it from My ESET near the license there is a Download Button.

I am pretty sure because I copy/pasted the product key and was awaiting the point where it would ask me to enter the key or login via My Eset credentials but it didn't unless it actually sensed that key that I copied to the Windows clipboard and used that automatically. Anyway, it's a nice feature IMO I was just curious.

I know that screen very well but I never got it. This is where I downloaded that installer from but for some reason now I can't see the download button.

eset.jpg