ESET flaged Sumatra and denied a download

Go to solution Solved by Tommi Uhlemann,

Nothing wrong with Sumatra.

It is an ".exe" file.

My solution was to temp disable ESET and save the file to a folder. 

Online with no ESET protection........ but Sandboxed.

Enable ESET again. Run ESET to check the file for bugs.

Is there a better way to do something like this?

Hello Jack

Just downloaded Sumatra PDF 2.3.1 from Filehippo.com, and Eset did not flagged the file. There must have been something else in your download that Eset reacted towards.

Regards, Janus

• Former ESET Employees

Some websites include software wrappers in their download files which ESET will detect as a Potentially Unwanted Application. You can configure your ESET product to ignore PUA by following the article or video below:

Click here for the written instructions

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

No problems noticed when downloading Sumatra PDF Reader 2.3.2 directly from the author's download page at hxxp://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/downloadafter.html using ESET Smart Security 6.0.316.0 with virus signature database 8386.  As Janus and DWomack mentioned, it is always a good idea to download software directly from the author or a trustworthy website.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I've never used Sumatra PDF Reader personally, I thought I would point out that clicking on the link that Aryeh Goretsky has in the post above mine results in a "Access Denied" by ESET.

Software is ESET Smart Security 6.0.316.0 with virus signature database 8398.

EDIT: Attached is a pic of what hapens when I click the link.

post-855-0-64035800-1370056610_thumb.jpg

Edited by BStill

Strange, I have the exact same software version as you BStill and the same virus signature database but I am not blocked when I click on the link in Aryeh's post.  I have also never used the Sumatra Reader but I now have the installer in my download folder.  Computers and software can be so confusing sometimes.  

Hey !

It seems that this error regarding downloading Sumatra is browser related. When I first tried to download Sumatra it was in IE 10 64 bit browser (no problem downloading). If you try to download Sumatra from hxxp://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/downloadafter.html in Firefox version 21 (64bit) you will get blocked as the OP(original poster) stated in the beginning. It same happens in Crome Version 27.0.1453.94.

(A side note: You are able to download Sumatra from, filehippo, in Firefox and Chrome without error, so it seems this issue can be related only to the original downloadsite)

Regards, Janus :-))

post-65-0-65258400-1370062660_thumb.png

Edited by Janus

• ESET Staff
  • Solution

To me it seems that there's browser-specific ads being infected. If you look at the warning message in the bottom right corner, you'll see a link that points to something like this. ESET is only blocking the ad, you should be able to click the links for "installer" and "portable (zip)" normally. Is that correct?

To me it seems that there's browser-specific ads being infected. If you look at the warning message in the bottom right corner, you'll see a link that points to something like this. ESET is only blocking the ad, you should be able to click the links for "installer" and "portable (zip)" normally. Is that correct?

Hello ,

That is correct Tommi :-))  Super,

Regards, Janus

Ok, good analysis.  I am using Google Chrome browser with the Adblock extension.  When I disable Adblock, I get the same ad related flag from Eset.

Ok, good analysis.  I am using Google Chrome browser with the Adblock extension.  When I disable Adblock, I get the same ad related flag from Eset.

Yes, nice work Janus and Tommi, solved my Sumatra problem. Have been using Sumatra for a long time.