A TPM is available but it is not being used for encryption

QuebecIT

Hi all,

I am trying to install Eset Full Disk encryption but I end up getting this error message when it try to encrypt the HD.

Policy states a TPM should be used to encrypt your computer. A TPM is available but it is not being used for encryption.

I went into TPM and cleared it in case, then I've prepared it but it still doesn't work. I do use UEFI boot mode.

Thanks,

Louis

Edited by QuebecIT

Based on what is posted below if TPM Mode in Policy setting was set to "Must use TPM" and there was an issue with TPM, encryption will fail. There might be a firmware or other issue with the TPM chip/module being used. You can try setting Policy TPM Mode to "Use TPM if possible" and see if that allows encryption to proceed.

Ref.: https://help.eset.com/efde/en-US/policy_encryption_options.html

Trusted Platform Module Support

Policy setting

Description

Use TPM

Enabling the use of TPM will initialize and take ownership of the Trusted Platform Module (TPM). It is your responsibility to ensure that the TPM is not being used by any other software, as this can result in data loss.

TPM Mode

Use TPM if possible - Encryption process will attempt to use TPM for the encryption. If the TPM version is not supported or TPM is not present, encryption will continue without TPM.

Must use TPM - Encryption requires TPM. If TPM is not present or it is running in an unsupported version, the encryption will fail to start.

Edited by itman