• ESET Insiders

Hey Guys,

How can I stop ping responses from my PC using eset firewall?

Don't bother asking why I want to do this, because I don't think that is important for you to know.

• Administrators

Do you mean to disable ICMP (ping) in the trusted zone? If so, why not to remove computers from the trusted zone then?

ICMP communication is enabled only within the Trusted zone by default.

2 hours ago, Marcos said:

ICMP communication is enabled only within the Trusted zone by default.

Specifically, echo reply is only allowed from devices in the Trusted Zone; i.e. local subnet.

Alternatively, you can manually create an outbound firewall rule to block echo reply from a specific device. Then move that rule prior to any existing default ICMP rules.

• ESET Insiders
8 hours ago, itman said:

Specifically, echo reply is only allowed from devices in the Trusted Zone; i.e. local subnet.

Alternatively, you can manually create an outbound firewall rule to block echo reply from a specific device. Then move that rule prior to any existing default ICMP rules.

How?

31 minutes ago, BeanSlappers said:

How?

Refer to the below screen shots. Substitute the shown Local 192.168.0.0 address for the DHCP assigned IP address for the local device you wish to block outbound echo reply activity. If you want to be notified about block activity, check mark the "Notify user" setting. Move this rule above any existing Eset default ICMP rules that exist.

Eset_Echo_1.png.ef691c25e6d17a41c5953fb82fc33e63.png

Eset_Echo_2.thumb.png.75300b868677bc7c7703d90165ff7d93.png

A few more comments here.

If pings; i.e. echo request, are being recorded on a local network device, your router firewall is either not correctly configured or deficient. These pings should be blocked within the router's WAN interface.

If your posting is a result of performing some web based port scanning site test such as Gibson Research Shields Up test, the test is being performed against your router's ports including those used ICMP echo request. The test per se is irrelevant in regards to verifying current Eset firewall configuration.

• ESET Insiders
13 hours ago, itman said:

A few more comments here.

If pings; i.e. echo request, are being recorded on a local network device, your router firewall is either not correctly configured or deficient. These pings should be blocked within the router's WAN interface.

If your posting is a result of performing some web based port scanning site test such as Gibson Research Shields Up test, the test is being performed against your router's ports including those used ICMP echo request. The test per se is irrelevant in regards to verifying current Eset firewall configuration.

I wasn't asking for my routers firewall.  If I was I would have said :-).

Also I know that GRC scans the routers ports and not the PC's ports.  Unless i connect my PC directly to the ONT box then it will scan my PC.

I have already turned off internet request for pings.  Did that a while ago see:

Untitled.png

Also  its got nothing to do with GRC with why I asked this question.  Everything comes back stealth for the GRC scans:

• ESET Insiders

Topic has been resolved hence why I said thank you a few replies back but I cannot find a way to make it as "answered" or "solved"

• Most Valued Members
On 4/12/2020 at 12:26 PM, BeanSlappers said:

Hey Guys,

How can I stop ping responses from my PC using eset firewall?

Don't bother asking why I want to do this, because I don't think that is important for you to know.

It's more better if you firewall your router rather than firewall your ESET , that way you can make sure no devices in your network can be pinged like crazy from outside, with ESET you only protect your current machine from that.

Just firewall ICMP to your allowed IP Addresses.

Archived