ESET Endpoint Security does a FULL C: scan after every virus databas eupdate

kapela86

Since when did Endpoint Security run a full C scan after every virus database update? I updates recently to 7.2.2055.0 and I'm pretty sure that previous versions did some sort of quick scan (probably only running processes, etc). I noticed some time ago that ekrn.exe was using cpu for a long time, I just confirmed with Process Monitor that after every virus database update it does a FULL 😄 scan, going through every folder. What is really anoying is that it takes about 50 minutes at my PC to finish (Visual Studio, SQL Management Studio, lots of iso/zip files in subfolders on desktop, Thunderbird with many GB of mail messages), so lots of unpacking and creating temp files in C:\Windows\Temp\NODxxxx.tmp. I have SSD drive so it's a LOT of write cycles to it (SSD have limited write cycles).

Edited by kapela86

• Administrators

Most likely you have scheduled a scan task that is run after a module update. There is no such task created by default.

Please provide logs collected with ESET Log Collector.

• Administrators

Where did you download ESET Log Collector from? I'm asking since you've used version 3.2 while the latest one is 4.0 and the exported configuration doesn't include applied policy settings.

in Endpoint Security I clicked on Help -> ESET Log Collector, it opened https://support.eset.com/pl/kb3466-jak-uzyc-narzedzia-eset-log-collector and there i clicked on Pobierz ESET Log Collector

EDIT:

I switched to english version of that website and from there downloaded 4.0.2.0

I attached logs from this version

EDIT2:

Forgot to say that I found task that is responsible for this scan after definition update and changed it to run only once in 12 hours. Also I noticed that it says to scan "Commonly (or Frequently) used files". But I saw that it goes through Program Data, Users, both Program Files and Wwindows folders. And I don't think it's applied from policy, I think it's built in.

ees_logs.zip

Edited by kapela86