updating Mobile Device Connector 6.5 to 7.1

hi, first time to post in the forum.

was trying to update the Mobile Device Connector via ESMC but was unable. tried using a standalone installer but couldn't get past figuring out the correct syntax, stuck with error "Unknown database driver or datasource name (DSN)"

using a Virtual Appliance for the Server, Proxy, and MDM. Server and Proxy are all fully updated.

any pointers on how to do this either via command line or ESMC would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

• ESET Staff

Error indicates you are using wrong ODBC driver configuration, i.e. you have probably specified ODBC driver that is not available in the system.

In case of upgrade, I would recommend to perform it from terminal, where it will be perform without any interaction, especially in case you follow these steps:

1. Open Administrator command line, i.e. start cmd.exe ad Administrator.
  2. Run command:
    msiexec.exe /qn /i MDMCore_x64.msi /l*v C:\mdmcoremsilog.log

which will start upgrade in the background. Please adapt parameters to you environment -> logging might be omitted by I would recommend to perform upgrade with full msiexec logging just to be sure it is available in case something goes wrong.

3. Wait until upgrade is finished. As operation would be performed in background, I would recommend to check log after some time and search for operation result status.

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I am using Virtual Appliance so it's CentOS. I was able to install it by updating the ODBC driver in the initial configuration INI file. I may have updated MySQL or the ODBC drivers through Webmin. 

However, eramdmcore.service starts when started manually, then fails after one minute. I still haven't figured out where to look for a clue. 

Thanks. 

• ESET Staff

In case of silent upgrade from terminal, running:

./MDMCore_x64_64.sh --skip-license

from root terminal should silently upgrade your MDM. In case of manual upgrades performed via Webmin, there might be theoretically problem with SELinux, so I would also recommend to temporarily disable SELinux using commend:

setenforce 0

and verify whether it helped to start service.

• ESET Staff

Please check MDM's trace log located in:

/var/log/eset/RemoteAdministrator/MDMCore/

for any clues. It seems as if process is crashing or is aborted: we have seen similar behavior when incompatible ODBC drivers was used. There are certain versions of MySQL ODBC drivers that have an issue triggered by our DB layer, resulting in intimidate process stop.

I would recommend to revert MySQL ODBC driver version to one that was previously installed in appliance (8.0.11). We have recently updated list of supported/working drivers in help pages (https://help.eset.com/esmc_install/71/en-US/database_requirements.html) as event latest released MySQL drivers are also not compatible.

• ESET Staff
29 minutes ago, CarloMostoles said:

here are the installed drivers:

image.png.6b53e6fc9e8707f9821288cd8c974678.png

Please check file:

/etc/opt/eset/RemoteAdministrator/MDMCore/StartupConfiguration.ini

It contains connection string for MDM application. I just noticed that your original version was 6.5 which was bundled with ODBC 5.3 driver, so application was broken during upgrade to ODBC -> i.e. application expects 5.3 ODBC driver.

My recommendation, and also recommendation for users (that I cannot find currently) was to revert ODBC driver to older vesion and configure system in a way that version of driver will be frozen, i.e. it won't be updated due to possible incompatibilities.

I hope that steps as described in article: https://saputra.org/threads/eset-security-management-center-login-failed-connection-has-failed-with-the-state-not-connected.56/ should be sufficient. Problem is most probable in fact that MDM

As an alternative, it would be possible to modify StartupConfiguration.ini file in a way that ODBC driver "MySQL ODBC 8.0 Unicode Driver" is used, but I cannot guarantee MDM will work properly with latest driver: but it is easiest possible fix.

• ESET Staff

Hello,

I would not recommend using ODBC driver newer than 5.3.11.

Other than incompatibilities later MySQL ODBC drivers/client library also switched to unconditional use of openssl instead of internal TLS implementation they used to have and in some cases this triggers startup clashes of openssl initialization where MDM requires some setup and MySQL actually uses different one causing runtime issues.

HTH,

M.

hi, thank you. I originally just downgraded from 8.0.19 (latest as of this posting) to 8.0.16 as the support site says it's supported. finally downgraded to 5.3.11 and that did the trick.

on to the next error!

again, thanks!