Should I buy just the antivirus or smart security?

Subliminal

So I am leaving Norton.  It came preinstalled on my PC and the license is almost over. 

I am curious though. 

I am interested in both Eset Antivirus and Eset Smart security.  If I buy the anti virus i'll be buying it for the two years,  smart security because of cost, I'll be getting it for just the year. 

I'll be installing it on Windows 8.1 X64.  Would the Antivirus alone be enough with it running along side WIndows 8.1 firewall?  Or is smart securities firewall better? 

The only feature I am interested in is the firewall,  none of the other features included with smart security would benefit me. 

Edited by Subliminal

I just bought the AV because I already had Malewarebytes, Superantispyware and  Outpost firewall.

If I didn't I definitely would have bought Smart Security. :)

I would be using it with Malewarebytes as well and windows firewall.  I think I should be ok.  Norton Internet Security is done, I can't wait to uninstall that. 

Norton, don't like the guy very much. :lol:

Software, its just too bloated now and i don't know a single PC that it will run nicely on.

Their security researchers and business department is actually not that bad.

All Home products are pewp ;)

Edited by Arakasi

I would be using it with Malewarebytes as well and windows firewall.  I think I should be ok.  Norton Internet Security is done, I can't wait to uninstall that.

If I'm not mistaken, I seem to remember Smart Security telling me to uninstall those programs before installing S.S.

Of course, I'm an old man and my memory is fading.

I use online banking a lot therefore I need an AV with a  very strong anti-phishing feature (Smart Security is the best) to protect my privacy and prevent logging into suspicious  websites accidentally. Its totally up to you.

1. Symantec's Consumer Products Norton Antivirus and Norton Internet Security are light and fast.

2. ESET Nod32 Antivirus 7 also has Anti-phishing feature.
3. Windows built in firewall is solid and good enough

Read this: https://forum.eset.com/topic/2191-eset-smart-security-7-firewall/

Yes you will be fine with ESET NOD32 AV and the inbuilt Win Firewall. The inbuilt Firewall in Vista and later is pretty OK.  :)

I use online banking a lot therefore I need an AV with a very strong anti-phishing feature (Smart Security is the best) to protect my privacy and prevent logging into suspicious websites accidentally. Its totally up to you.

The av alone has anti phishing as well correct? It shows it atleast on the site comparison between the two. are they both the same or is there some security difference?

Also this desktop is never connected to a public network.

Edited by Subliminal

I forgot to mention that my FB account had been hacked once. Therefore I really need the Media Social Scanner to prevent this happen again and this another reason I choose Smart Security. BTW thanks Arakasi for correcting me.

Edited by Weng

Wow, I guess I'm really outdated with NOD 32 since I've been using Smart Security for many years and really don't know anything about NOD 32.

Edited by Weng

I'm pretty sure the only differences are firewall, parental controls, anti-theft and anti spam.

I have the trial it installed now. Still debating. I think I'll be ok with just the av and windows firewall.

• Administrators

As for the Windows firewall, I'm not sure if it reliably protects against all CVE vulnerabilities in network protocols as ESET does.

As for the Windows firewall, I'm not sure if it reliably protects against all CVE vulnerabilities in network protocols as ESET does.

How so?

FYI,  It's part of the Firewall in ESS...

Vulnerability shield is an extension of firewall and improves detection of Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE’s) on the network level.

By implementing detections for CVE’s of widely used protocols, such as SMB, RPC and RDP, it constitutes another important layer of protection against spreading malware, network-conducted attacks and exploitations of vulnerabilities for which a patch has not been released or deployed yet.

Edited by SweX