Automatic updates/scans and a weak laptop

Hello there!

First off, my apologies if such a thread already exists or the solution is plain simple, it's my first input on this site.

My laptop hardware isn't second-to-none — quite the opposite. Whenever ESET Internet Security launches an automatic system scan or proceeds to download the latest updates, I can feel it. Everything takes longer to load, I experience severe system lag etc. It's quite a problem, as I'm somewhat of a gamer: my laptop already struggles with some newer titles, and when ESET joins the fray, my screen frequently freezes. Needless to say, I'd like to avoid that, if possible, by either making the program ask for my allowance to run such operations or just cease them altogether while I play.

Naturally, I spent a sizeable amount of time looking through ESET's settings, but to my frustration I didn't find anything regarding the above. Am I missing something? Can one do as I wish? Or is turning off the entire anti-virus software during gaming the only feasible option?

Thanks in advance for any help, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Edited by pecelot
typo

• Administrators

Please carry on as follows:
1, Make sure that you have the latest version v13.1.16 installed. If you've upgraded to it, try uninstalling it and installing it from scratch to make sure that default settings are used.
2, Enable advanced operating system logging under tools -> diagnostics in the advanced setup.
3, Reproduce the issue (you can switch to pre-release updates in the advanced update setup to trigger an update).
4, Stop logging after a while (1-2 minutes).
5, Collect logs with ESET Log Collector and upload the generated archive here. If too big to upload here, upload it to another safe location and drop me a personal message with a download link.

Thanks for your quick reply. However, I'm pretty sure it's not an issue of the program version, nor is it an issue to be reproduced, but rather a question of how to set my ESET Internet Security up for it not to interfere with my gaming plans.

• Most Valued Members
14 hours ago, pecelot said:

Thanks for your quick reply. However, I'm pretty sure it's not an issue of the program version, nor is it an issue to be reproduced, but rather a question of how to set my ESET Internet Security up for it not to interfere with my gaming plans.

There is a gamer mode you can enable when playing games

• ESET Insiders
47 minutes ago, pecelot said:

can you tell me where I can find it?

Open the GUI and press Setup -> Computer protection -> Gamer mode

• Most Valued Members
46 minutes ago, pecelot said:

That would be ideal — can you tell me where I can find it? I can't quite see it.

https://support.eset.com/en/kb2838-enabledisable-gamer-mode-in-eset-windows-home-products

This article should explain how to enable it. You can also set it up to automatically enable if it detects a full screen app

• Most Valued Members
12 hours ago, pecelot said:

Oh, great, in the end it was a lot easier than I thought, sorry for that. Huge thanks nonetheless!

No problem. Has that stopped your issues now?