ESET virus notification continues to come up

My father has ESET virus protection on his computer (running windows) and he continues to get the message: “ internet security, your system is exposed.”

The prompt takes him to a webpage. He has taken the computer for service and the tech uninstalled and reinstalled the virus software, but the message continues to show. Anyone know why this would happen? Unfortunately due to the corona virus, I can’t be there to see what is happening. Just trying to get him some help.

thank you!

On 3/21/2020 at 6:57 PM, Marcos said:

Please post a screen shot for clarification.

Sorry this took so long.

Attached are two screenshots of what he sees. He has entered his license key, but still gets this message.

Screenshot 1.png

Screenshot 2.png

Appears something is borked in the Eset installation in regards to your first screen shot showing a Win 10 notification in regards to the Eset GUI. It might be best just to run Eset's Uninstaller tool in Safe mode as described here: https://support.eset.com/en/kb2289-uninstall-eset-manually-using-the-eset-uninstaller-tool . Reboot after the Eset uninstall. Then reinstall Eset again. One of the first things the installler does is show a screen similar to your second screen shot. The "Use a purchased License key" option should be selected and the Eset license key entered there.

Prior to performing the above, your father's PC should be checked for any existing other third party AV software; e.g. Avast, Symantec, etc., being installed and that software uninstalled. If issues arise with that, Eset has an AV remover tool that can be downloaded and run to assist in the removal: https://www.eset.com/int/support/av-remover/

12 minutes ago, Smithannae2 said:

Would the virus software that comes with Windows 10 be affecting the ESET virus software?

If Eset is properly installed, the answer is no. The Eset installer basically disables Windows Defender and the Win 10 firewall (Internet and Smart Security installations) and modifies Windows Security Center to reflect this status.

4 minutes ago, itman said:

If Eset is properly installed, the answer is no. The Eset installer basically disables Windows Defender and the Win 10 firewall (Internet and Smart Security installations) and modifies Windows Security Center to reflect this status.

Ok, thank you.

I will relay this info to him, and see if we can figure those things out. A computer repair guy installed this for him, and when this message started appearing my father took it back to the guy. The repair guy uninstalled it, re-installed it but when my dad got home, the message began coming back.

Thank you for your help

• Most Valued Members
2 hours ago, Smithannae2 said:

Ok, thank you.

I will relay this info to him, and see if we can figure those things out. A computer repair guy installed this for him, and when this message started appearing my father took it back to the guy. The repair guy uninstalled it, re-installed it but when my dad got home, the message began coming back.

Thank you for your help

I presume the computer guy installed eset. Did your father purchase a license? The problem is eset doesn't offer a free version just a trial. Unsure if maybe he has just installed it but hasn't activated it and your father would have to purchase the license

Yes, the computer guy installed eset. He gave my dad a license key to put in. This seemed to remedy the issue for a day or so, but the messages started coming back again.

• Administrators

I was unable to find any license registered to your forum email address. Please provide your license public ID (XXX-XXX-XXX).

2 hours ago, Marcos said:

I was unable to find any license registered to your forum email address. Please provide your license public ID (XXX-XXX-XXX).

It would be either under my dad’s email or the repair guy’s email. I’m assuming the latter, but I could be wrong. Unfortunately I don’t know.

Edited by Marcos
Email address removed

• Administrators

I was unable to find any license registered to that email address either. Do you have a proof of purchase? An invoice, receipt or whatever.

2 hours ago, Marcos said:

I was unable to find any license registered to that email address either. Do you have a proof of purchase? An invoice, receipt or whatever.

I don't personally, no. I can try to see if my dad could provide something.

If you father can access the Eset GUI interface by either the Eset icon on the desktop toolbar or via Win 10 Start menu, refer to the below screen shot on how to retrived his Eset public license ID. He can relay that to you via phone or e-mail. You can then post same in this forum thread:

Eset_Public.thumb.png.36dc77d616470a11e845ffeb6236df8e.png

So the computer repair guy got back in touch, and he said

"The error you are seeing is a support assistant error. Not the actual eset itself so I want to verify if there is an error on the eset interface"

We aren't sure what this means (support assistant error). He is asking to see if there any kind of error on the ESET interface, I assume to prove that this is a support assistant error.

I attached a screenshot of the current status. Everything seems to be running fine. The message is still appearing though.

Screenshot (3).png

• Most Valued Members
9 hours ago, Smithannae2 said:

So the computer repair guy got back in touch, and he said

"The error you are seeing is a support assistant error. Not the actual eset itself so I want to verify if there is an error on the eset interface"

We aren't sure what this means (support assistant error). He is asking to see if there any kind of error on the ESET interface, I assume to prove that this is a support assistant error.

I attached a screenshot of the current status. Everything seems to be running fine. The message is still appearing though.

Screenshot (3).png

This isn't actually esets interface in the screenshot but windows security. In the bottom left of windows where the time and date area is there is a question mark and icon and next to that there is an arrow pointing up. Click the arrow which will reveal hidden icons and there will be an eset icon which is just an e in a circle. Open that and then show us what you see.

I also don't know what he means by support assistant

• ESET Insiders

Is the computer an HP? There seems to be an HP Support Assistant icon in the tray that is indicating a problem (the red exclamation mark). Is it that that is throwing the internet security message?

12 hours ago, Smithannae2 said:

Which message? The previously shown Win 10 notification message relating to Eset Proxy GUI?

12 hours ago, stackz said:

Is the computer an HP? There seems to be an HP Support Assistant icon in the tray that is indicating a problem (the red exclamation mark). Is it that that is throwing the internet security message?

The computer is an HP. According to my dad, there are two icons with exclamation points by them, including the ESET one. I asked for screenshots.

Sorry for the back and forth. Unfortunately because of the virus I can't be there to observe what's going on.

So I got a bit more clarity from my dad.

He says that the last screenshot (from above) shows everything is working as it should be. When he goes to browse the internet is when he gets a small message in the lower righthand corner. He clicks on that and gets the attached screenshot. 

He has already entered his license key, but the message and this attached screenshot still come up. Interestingly enough, when he first got ESET installed, everything worked fine for about 6 months. Then the software told him his license had expired, which was odd. So he took the computer back to the repair guy, and the guy put in a different license number. Then all of this started happening. The repair guy emailed my dad the new license number (he hadn't given it to him this last time), but it seems like the program keeps asking him to put it in over and over.

I'm not sure what to make of any of this.

Screenshot (1).png

• Most Valued Members
16 minutes ago, Smithannae2 said:

He says that the last screenshot (from above) shows everything is working as it should be. When he goes to browse the internet is when he gets a small message in the lower righthand corner. He clicks on that and gets the attached screenshot. 

He has already entered his license key, but the message and this attached screenshot still come up. Interestingly enough, when he first got ESET installed, everything worked fine for about 6 months. Then the software told him his license had expired, which was odd. So he took the computer back to the repair guy, and the guy put in a different license number. Then all of this started happening. The repair guy emailed my dad the new license number (he hadn't given it to him this last time), but it seems like the program keeps asking him to put it in over and over.

Screenshot (1).png

Did he pay for an eset license? It seems odd that the computer repair person would simply give another license. I have seen a lot of people on here posting about licenses not working but it turns out they where sold a license that already had been in use e.g. a seller illegally sells a license for 1 user to multiple users. If a license that is for one machine is overused on multiple machines eset will automatically detect this and disable the license. I'm not saying this is what has happened but that it could be a possibility.

Has he tried what Itman suggested in the link below? Although not sure if this will work now if it is not taking the license at all

Your best bet might be creating a support ticket via the website or even sending a private message to @Marcos sharing the license key. 

If you can get the public license key as shown in the above link you can share that to the forum as it is safe however you cannot share the actual license on the forum (to prevent anyone else using it)

Hope we can get to the bottom of this

1 hour ago, peteyt said:

Did he pay for an eset license? It seems odd that the computer repair person would simply give another license. I have seen a lot of people on here posting about licenses not working but it turns out they where sold a license that already had been in use e.g. a seller illegally sells a license for 1 user to multiple users. If a license that is for one machine is overused on multiple machines eset will automatically detect this and disable the license. I'm not saying this is what has happened but that it could be a possibility.

Has he tried what Itman suggested in the link below? Although not sure if this will work now if it is not taking the license at all

Your best bet might be creating a support ticket via the website or even sending a private message to @Marcos sharing the license key. 

If you can get the public license key as shown in the above link you can share that to the forum as it is safe however you cannot share the actual license on the forum (to prevent anyone else using it)

Hope we can get to the bottom of this

Thank you so much! My fear is that this repair guy is not reputable, and is taking my dad for a ride.

I've asked my dad for the public license ID. Will report back.

Thank you

13 hours ago, Smithannae2 said:

Screenshot (1).png

It appears Eset is not activated. That is the only explanation I have for this Eset screen appearing. 

The computer repair person should have given your father the Eset license key. If not, he needs to specifically request it from him.

An Eset license key is formatted as USAX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX where the first three characters is the country code. Once the licensing key is received, he can then select "Use a purchased license key" option in the above Eset activation screen. Then enter the license key including the dash marks. Eset will then connect to its licensing servers and verify the license key. If the key is not a valid one, a message will be displayed indicating this. If the key shows it was invalid, I would demand that the purchase  money be refunded. You father can then purchase a license for Eset Internet Security here: https://www.eset.com/us/home/internet-security/ .

So my dad has the license key, the guy sent it to him. And he enters it, but the warning continues to pop up, along with the above screenshot ^

I have asked my dad to send the public license ID. Will post it here once I get it.

• Administrators

The repair guy does not have your father's license. If they have their own license, it's forbidden to shared it with others. Most likely they provided the key for a license that was misused and therefore canceled which is why the product cannot activate.