Agent Upgrade to Dynamic groups

Is there a way to select a Dynamic group as the 'Target' group for an Agent Deployment Task?

As you can see in the screenshot, Dynamic groups are greyed out. I have +8000 devices so ideally I want target the task only to those that are not in the latest version.ESET.thumb.png.9cf8a34aa0ed87b0e0376801ea927ee1.png

ESET Security Management Center (Server), Version 7.1 (7.1.717.0)
ESET Security Management Center (Web Console), Version 7.1 (7.1.393.0)

edit:

This is the official KB from Eset which is not clear on my particular questions.

https://support.eset.com/en/kb6741-remotely-install-or-reinstall-the-eset-management-agent-using-eset-security-management-center-7x

Thanks,

Camilo

Edited by Camilo Diaz
adding KB

• ESET Staff

Hello @Camilo Diaz, in this case, I would suggest to use task "security management center components upgrade". This can be targeted to a dynamic group. Deployment task is a server task (executed by ESMC server), and as DG membership is evaluated by agent, it can´t utilize this concept. 

Thanks @MichalJ. I've had a look at the 'security management center components upgrade' but if I choose 'Server Task', again I can't select a dynamic group and If I select 'Client Task', is not clear what the task is doing... Upgrading the client? upgrading the agent?

• ESET Staff

Hello @Camilo Diaz

Even though task is called "Security management center components upgrade task", it´s client task. Client task means, that the task is executed by ESET Management Agent (=client). Server task means, that it is executed by server (sync against AD, push deployment, or generate report are examples of this).

So to upgrade ESMC Server, you actually need to run a client "components upgrade task" targeted to the machine where ESMC server is running. What will happen is, that ESMC agent will contact ESET repository, and download newer versions of server, console and agent, and install them one by one.

NOTE: Please note that ESMC 7.1 is only 64-bit, so in case the older install of either server, or any related components is 32-bit, it might fail. 

Ok problem solved. I had missed that notification which explains it will attempt to upgrade as much as it can (in my case, the agent). 

I can also select a dynamic group.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 10.24.50 PM.png

Edited by Camilo Diaz