"Automatic startup file check" on Mac version

In the Scheduler, there are 2 events named Automatic startup file check that indicate a System startup file check is performed whenever the user logs in and when modules are successfully updated.  I checked the documentation and there is nothing that discusses what these events do or what is scanned.  I also checked the docs for the Windows version and while there is a brief discussion re: these events, it does not go into any real detail and what is said doesn't really apply to the macOS operating system.

Can ESET please provide more explanation and details about these events are and what they do?

• Administrators

I can comment on only startup scans on Windows. There are two startup scan tasks, one that is run after each module update and another one which is run after a user logs on. While the former scans "commonly used files", the latter scans "files run after user logs on" which are options pre-selected for these scans. There are no more details available and the list of files that are scanned may change in time by module updates.

Basically the scan tasks are there to ensure that memory and files in autostart locations are scanned after a user logs on as well as after a module update to ensure that possible active malware is detected as soon as recognition is added via a module update.

Thx Marcos...I appreciate the feedback.  macOS is a BSD variant and because the startup files for Windows are drastically different from xNIX operating systems, what is done on the Windows side doesn't really offer much insight here.  So it really is important to fully understand what's going on when these events kick-off on the Mac version...

• Administrators

I assume this will need to be answered by developers so please raise a support ticket with your local ESET distributor.

raise a support ticket with your local ESET distributor

I am working with the eval and in any event, I don't really have a local distributor.  In fact, we don't really have such a thing in the US for personal software use.

I know this isn't your fault but just some feedback for the ESET engineering team --- Users shouldn't need to raise a support ticket to learn about existing features...these should already be documented prior to release. 

Anyway, thank for your feedback...

Edited by cyberzeus

• Administrators

In the US ESET LLC, a branch of ESET, provides customer care for local users. A support ticket raised via the online form should go to ESET LLC in your case, they would subsequently contact ESET HQ regarding your question and provide you with a response then.

Ahhh...ok...misunderstood...When I read the word "distributor", that to me meant something like a sales\support outlet that is typically affiliated with, but a separate entity from, the manufacturer.

Thanks for clarifying...

Edited by cyberzeus