Is there a way to stop the auto scan of a never removed removable drive

moiraesfate

Hello,

I have a thumb drive plugged into my laptop. This allows me to backup my business files and not have those files be online. The thing is, it seems ESET periodically scans this drive every half an hour or so. It doesn't do it often during the day but in the evening it does it about every 15 minutes or so and tells me a new drive is installed even though I never remove it. Is there a way to stop this? It interrupts what I'm doing.

• Administrators

There seems to be an issue with the flash drive or OS if it notifies ESET every few minutes that a new drive has been connected. I'd recommend opening a support ticket for further troubleshooting.

16 hours ago, moiraesfate said:

It doesn't do it often during the day but in the evening it does it about every 15 minutes or so and tells me a new drive is installed even though I never remove it. Is there a way to stop this?

This sounds like a Win Power Management issue to me.

This is a notebook so Win power management settings are probably configured to maximum power saving. One of those setting controls USB power management. It appears what is happening is Win is powering down the USB storage controller when the drive or notebook is idle. Then some Win background process cause the device to power up. This in turn powers up the USB storage controller and Win powers up the USB device. Eset recognizes the new USB device and asks if you want to scan it.

You have a few options on how to resolve this.

1. Change Eset GUI Removable Media settings to either never scan or automatically scan. Note that if you set this option to never scan, you will not receive any Eset alert when a USB device is connected and the drive will not be scanned. In other words, you must manually perform an Eset scan when a new USB device is connected:

Eset_USB.thumb.png.c42c8bc1c63c3e5ec3721a4addc8b314.png

2. Modify USB mass storage controller setting via Win Device Manager by disabling power management setting options. This will prevent the USB drive from being powered down. It will also increase power usage and correspondingly decrease battery charge time:

Eset_Power.png.6cedfd418c6cf5a53980eb9d1d794919.png