Scans aren't finding anything..Error could not open all files

patti686

When I run scan, I checked log files and everyone had error could not open??  How is it not missing anything bad I may have..

Can't check it if they won't open?

Could someone please explain this to me?  It didn't used to do that...It always found pups...  I need someone to tell me how to fix that...

Thanks,

patti686

Edited by patti686
spelling

• Administrators

ESET won't scan files that are exclusively opened by the operating system, such as pagefile.sys or various log files, or files that the current user doesn't have permissions to read. Basically you should ignore it.

The desired state is when no threat or PUA is found.

• Most Valued Members
11 hours ago, patti686 said:

When I run scan, I checked log files and everyone had error could not open??  How is it not missing anything bad I may have..

Can't check it if they won't open?

Could someone please explain this to me?  It didn't used to do that...It always found pups...  I need someone to tell me how to fix that...

Thanks,

patti686

Make a deep scan of your computer , ignore the files that cannot be opened because they are protected by the system or is being used by the system which makes ESET unable to read them/scan them

Scan as Administrator also to make sure everything works properly , cannot read files because they are passworded is a different story for example

But nothing is not normal in this case that ESET cannot read those files.

2 hours ago, Nightowl said:

Scan as Administrator

To do this, you will have to run an Advanced scan -> Custom scan, select what areas to scan, and mouse click on the button "Scan as Administrator."

By default, Eset runs a "Smart" scan using privileges of the currently signed on Windows user account.

If you are using Win 10 and signed on under the default account created when the system was installed, you are running as a limited administrator. This means you run under standard user privileges and Windows will inform you when full administrator privileges are required via the UAC prompt mechanism. This additionally means that when you run a default Eset Smart scan, the scan is being run under standard user privileges. Hence, the inability of Eset to access a number of files that have been assigned higher privileges.

Edited by itman